LegacyGT.com

omgomgomg my motor is broken in!!!111111

Yeah, it took less then 2 weeks for me to break my car in. :P The motor is great! The boost builds smoothly, unlike the WRX and seems to taper a bit less near redline. This car is pretty deceptively quick! Anyways, I'll be testing the car out at speeds over 60mph now (since I haven't taken it past 60mph yet). Just thought I'd let you guys know. :D

Congrats!!!! I'm having problems with smooth boost. Something has happened during the last 500 miles (I have 1500). Accelaration is all over the place. Sometimes it's great sometime terrible. Dealer time! Anyway, not to bring you down. Congrats again. NGG

[quote name='SUBE555']You haven't hit 60 yet! I hit 100 um, km/h at like 70 miles! I'm amazed at your restraint young skywalker. It's more than mine. :lol: Then again, different break-in methods too.[/quote] I did the gradual increase method, but till managed to keep under 60mph most of the time. I hit 70 once because I had to accelerate on the freeway.

[quote name='SUBE555']All I have to say is WOW! I'm blown away by your profound levels of restraint. Is this the same DM we've come to know? :o[/quote] I was told by a salesman at the dealer I bought my car from that all the Legacy motors are "pre-broken in" and the biggest concern is to vary the RPM's for the first 1k. He was told this info by some Subaru corporate guy at a dealer driver's day at a track somewhere. Apparently, according to him, all the Legacy's are like this, not other models. Seems a bit odd to me. Nevertheless, I'm at 1005 miles... yee ha!

[quote name='brad21'][quote name='SUBE555']All I have to say is WOW! I'm blown away by your profound levels of restraint. Is this the same DM we've come to know? :o[/quote] I was told by a salesman at the dealer I bought my car from that all the Legacy motors are "pre-broken in" and the biggest concern is to vary the RPM's for the first 1k. He was told this info by some Subaru corporate guy at a dealer driver's day at a track somewhere. Apparently, according to him, all the Legacy's are like this, not other models. Seems a bit odd to me. Nevertheless, I'm at 1005 miles... yee ha![/quote] he said tht so you take the first 1000miles in boost and WOT, then you spend $$$ going to the dealer :D

Congrats on the break-in.. I broke mine in a matter of 4 days or so.. and today I autocrossed it with 1400 on the clock.. the car is freaking fast and pulls a lot harder than my WRX did (stock of course). During the first 1k, I did manage to keep the car under 4k (but ran it up to 90 mph) and did the variation in rpms to get everything seated in place.. I shift at 3k rpms 90% of the time.. I want to flex the engine and get everything set it nicely. The car runs very well right now and I swapped the oil to Pennzoil conventional 10w40 instead. Have fun running the car Monkey! NewGTGuy, what octane are you running?? And rev it up a little to 2k rpms so that you dont get the bog... you shouldnt have a boost problem.. do you have a boost gauge? Check your lines if you do. Keefe
Keefe

Adam, one thing I've noticed about that boost irregularities is that it seems to be mostly present when the engine is cold. Could have something to do with not enough heat in those first 2-4min or so. After that I really don't seem to notice it much. Next weekend for me Xenonk. I can't wait to run this baby! I think it will be a PAX challenger this year (til it's reclassified.)

[quote name='Xenonk'] The car runs very well right now and I swapped the oil to Pennzoil conventional 10w40 instead. [/quote] As an aside, what would be the difference from using 10W40 as xenonk has done here, and using 10W50 as recommended by Subaru (at least for the JDM)?

[quote name='MSB'][quote name='Xenonk'] The car runs very well right now and I swapped the oil to Pennzoil conventional 10w40 instead. [/quote] As an aside, what would be the difference from using 10W40 as xenonk has done here, and using 10W50 as recommended by Subaru (at least for the JDM)?[/quote] Might be a better summer oil, but SOA recommends 5w30 for USDM cars...

Mine has 3400 miles, I've done two oil changes. First at 1800 miles to 10-40 then to 10-30 the other day. I run 93 octane and have always had a little stumble going though boost. I will say the service manager say's it will get better as the car ages. I can say he appears to be right, the stumble is getting less and less. It is still not smooth like my turboed Civic.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived