LegacyGT.com

DRL Disable, in 10 minutes

• 2 months later...
Thank you very much for this DRL disable info... Just wanting to make sure and confrim that this is definitely the correct BLUE / BLACK wire for the 08 LGT to remove from the DRL white connector before I actually remove it from the connector Thanks again for the help and info.

DSCN3061.thumb.JPG.3c2d1a28c6949be2be8bf4bbd4810658.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

iv got an 05 2.5i limted wagon.. iv followed the steps yet when i unplug the white clip my low beams wont turn on at all.. what am i missing...

side bar- not sure if it makes a difference but iv also done the "stand alone fog light" following this diy. http://www.moojohn.com/subaru/fogmod.html http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fully-independent-fogs-lights-10782.html thats working fine but its kinda pointless if i cant get the drl deleted. plz help.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The picture on post 581 is exactly what I needed for my 07. Its along the firewall to the left of the brake pedal. My wire is blue with a black stripe second from the Left

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy26/kent55/IMG_20170211_092146140.jpg

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy26/kent55/IMG_20170211_093738598.jpg

Edited by kent55

• 7 months later...
EXCELLENT mod here. i hate me some DRLs.

You hate something that has been proven to save lives?

I bet you still get the discount on your insurance for having DRLs. Hope you don’t get in a accident and your insurance company drops you and refuses pay.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

^ Not all US auto-insurance gives that discount, even today - http://www.discountdrivers.com/insurance-daytime-headlights/ I think it's bad form for us to assume that of Rexmobbin (particularly as the post you quoted from, BDII, was authored in 2004 :p) or any other members.

Towards what was stated in that particular outlinked article, have there been any US-based, national-level studies since this one to show efficacy of DRLs (note that while the article points to 41 other studies it was aware of at the time of publication, it chose to cite the one specific study via the Minnesota DOT to corroborate its view that DRLs offer benefits, and therefore justifies those insurance discount)?

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811029

IIRC, the data we see from overseas - particularly Scandinavian countries - may be confounded by weather/darkness effects.

IAFAIK, even today, there remains no official guidelines or recommendations, much less regulations, from the NHTSA regarding DRL specifications because of these inconclusive results and the continued confounding problems associated with DRL design and implementation (i.e. axial glare to oncoming vehicles, muting of the intensity of as well as confusion regarding turn-signals, etc.).

I couldn't even find anything additional on Wiki :( - although the insight there regarding manufacturer attitudes regarding implementation here in North America was a most interesting read. :)

I'd love for a bit of an update on this, if there's been newer stateside-specific data.

-----

Full disclosure - both of our current Subarus ('16 WRX and '16 Outback) have DRLs, and no, I have not "deleted," deactivated, or otherwise modified them from-OE...and this actually spans back to our two immediate-previous Subarus as well ('13 FXT and '13 Tribeca). I saw no reason to do so as (1) current Subaru systems mute the same-side DRL when the vehicle's turn signal is engaged and (2), because whatever Subaru did in the intervening years since my '05 LGT seemed to have taken care of the bulb life-expectancy problem.

Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Not that it really matters all that much but I felt compelled to post a response regarding the two prior posts above. Apparently there are some that just don't like DRL's in general however, the main reason for this thread and for this mod is to allow proper burn in and bulb life expectancy to be prolonged for those looking to add Xenon headlights.

Maybe this has been pointed out earlier in this massive thread, but I feel like DRLs detract from safety. I frequently see cars that have headlights glowing dimly and no tail-lights. A driver has seen the DRLs burning and assumes their headlights are turned on. So they end up driving around with no tail lights and dim headlights. I have disabled my DRLs and are glad to have done so.

Maybe this has been pointed out earlier in this massive thread, but I feel like DRLs detract from safety. I frequently see cars that have headlights glowing dimly and no tail-lights. A driver has seen the DRLs burning and assumes their headlights are turned on. So they end up driving around with no tail lights and dim headlights. I have disabled my DRLs and are glad to have done so.

This is a huge issue inside urban centers, where sufficient street-lighting often exists so as to make roadways easily visible (and in some cases, street-lighting can completely wash-out vehicle headlamps, particularly those whose external lenses are heavily weathered or on older vehicles with sealed-beam incandescent lighting).

Paired with persistently-lit "electroluminescent" gauge clusters on many modern vehicles, it's made it all too easy for distracted or simply ignorant drivers to get into the vehicle, start it, and to get underway without knowing at all that their vehicle is, for all intents and purposes, invisible to anyone who isn't approaching from the forward aspects.

What's worse is that we also know from NHTSA and other similar foreign institutions that it is the lack of rear-visible lighting that causes collisions in foul weather which diminishes a driver's forward visibility (take a look at the rear fog lamp threads).

Many modern vehicles now also come with an automatic headlamp function which is in-part designed to prevent this kind of problem...but alas, a lot of drivers do not realize this function (i.e. the "ignorance" part of the above equation).

While I may not go every day/night without seeing someone who gets caught-out in just this scenario, I can safely say with all honesty that here in metro-NE-Ohio that I see this kind of problem at least once a week without fail, every week, every year. :(

Edited by TSi+WRX

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family