LegacyGT.com

sportshift auto tranny

i was test driving an 06 LGT Ltd last night.

(definately sportier than my 04 OBK Ltd 5 speed)

as i was sitting in it pushing buttons and messing with stuff prior to driving one thing i tried was turning the radio on and being a bit puzzled by the fact that the thumb buttons on the wheel didn't seem to have any effect on the radio

????????? oh well, no biggie, i just didn't understand the function.

out on the test drive and nearly done i'm playing with the tranny in sport mode.

i saw the gauge pack indicated the gear and had an up or down arrow.

ah ha

i tried the thumb buttons and saw what the buttons were intended for :icon_tong

the sales dude was v e r y l ow key and never mentioned them.

but

my obversations are, the shifts were slow / sluggish / very soft and lagged at least 0.5 seconds from when i pushed the button.

I know most manufactures don't want to shock their customers with an abrupt shift, but these seemed quite sluggish for a sport mode.

Is there an easy way to reprogram the shift speed, or does it involve hardware changes?

back in the old days of MOPAR muscle cars we'd install a new valve body and change bands / clutches / springs to reduce gear overlap and improve the shifting.

thanks

kleggo

power mods help. I feel the best shift if its in sport(auto). lately ive been using the manual mode with the stick to shift & it seems a little slower then Id like.

just have to wait for a trans flasher, plug in harness.

but i will say the shift in sport auto is extremly good

a bit puzzled by the fact that the thumb buttons on the wheel didn't seem to have any effect on the radio

The arrows on my wife's Acura MDX do control the radio. I'm always afraid she'll hit a money shift changing stations, if I ever let her drive the LGT. We should have paddles ala F1/WRC cars.:)

What trans flasher, plug in harness?? Fill me in on this. My 5EAT is having problem downshifting when coming to stop, only 3rd to 2nd gear. Just a harsh downshifting.

power mods help. I feel the best shift if its in sport(auto). lately ive been using the manual mode with the stick to shift & it seems a little slower then Id like.

just have to wait for a trans flasher, plug in harness.

but i will say the shift in sport auto is extremly good

my obversations are, the shifts were slow / sluggish / very soft and lagged at least 0.5 seconds from when i pushed the button.

Did you feel that both up and downshifts had lag? I've found that downshifts are fairly immediate and only upshifts took a moment.

Ken

What trans flasher, plug in harness?? Fill me in on this. My 5EAT is having problem downshifting when coming to stop, only 3rd to 2nd gear. Just a harsh downshifting.

There is no flasher, plug thingy.....yet that I know of. I do wish I had a wiring scamatics for our 5AT- do some seaching, change line pressure. but the problem ur having sounds normal to me- but only in sport mode. I feel it downshift when slowing down to a stop.

One key thing, the heavier your foot gets, the faster it shifts and most of the times, smoother also. I do find the upshifting with the lever takes longer to occur than with the button, this is after the indicator already change.

the 5eat shifts slower since its controlled by line pressure. but it does get quicker if you are pushing the car hard at the track or drag strip. downshifts seem to have no lag at all, but upshifts lag by about 200-400 rpm before it kicks in. so you just have to keep this in mind when you are making runs to red line so that you hit the button at 6000ish so the tranny will shift before you smack the fuel cut.

the tranny also learns from the ecu on when to shift when using normal/sport mode. which is why it seems to get a bit better when people install the ap.

Work hard. Play even harder.

My Garage

The arrows on my wife's Acura MDX do control the radio. I'm always afraid she'll hit a money shift changing stations, if I ever let her drive the LGT. We should have paddles ala F1/WRC cars.:)

http://www.myfoto.com.au/Photo/amyliam/forum_pics/word.jpg

I thought the same thing when I test drove a GT, the 3.0R Legacy here doesn't have "button shift" but instead uses that space for audio controls, like it should be.

favourite paddle shifter - mazda RX8 imho

If you're only feeling this in Sport auto mode (and not in regular auto mode), I believe that you are probably feeling the engine braking. It seems to only kick in when braking aggressively. It's documented in the manual somewhere, I think.

Blaze,

Only in regular auto mode. I only feel it when I braking slow or easy to stop. I don't really feel it when I brake aggressively or hard. :(

If you're only feeling this in Sport auto mode (and not in regular auto mode), I believe that you are probably feeling the engine braking. It seems to only kick in when braking aggressively. It's documented in the manual somewhere, I think.

jerseyglock,

I'm not sure that what your describing is normal. Mine shifts smooth as silk in auto mode (other than the first few cold up-shifts in the morning, as discussed in another thread). Maybe it has something to do with you being up in the cold north east (I'm down here in Texas....freakin' 83-degrees the other day...so it doesn't get too cold down here). You might want to ask your dealer about it though, if it worries you.

How can you do a money shift on an auto? No es possible senor la computadora no permite.

I've got about 2,500 miles on my 05 car with the auto-trans.

When driving gently around town in auto mode, it's very smooth and easy.

If you need to punch it, it's, wait for it..... wait.... Boom! It goes like crazy. With a manual, although you're in control of the clutch, There's still a delay, you're feet are just occupied! With the auto, there's nothing to do but wait for it to shift. I really wish it downshifted as soon as you hit the gas.

In sport mode, it feels no more responsive to me but It's essential to hold a gear through a turn or to use engine braking down a hill.

I wish it told you what gear it is in as soon as you move the stick over to sport mode. (9 times out of 10 it's in 5th.)

Moving the lever to sport mode makes the green "Sport Mode" text light up on the dash. As soon as you shift, this text goes away and it's replaced with the red 1-5 gear indicator.

If you are in auto, and tap the up or downshift button on the steering wheel, it will temporarily go into sport mode. It's a little confusing that, if you first tap a steering wheel shift button, then move the lever into "Sport Mode," the green "Sport Mode" text won't illuminate.

I wish the steering wheel shift buttons had a tighter, more solid, feel. The plastic buttons seem to float a bit.

When downshifting, I gently press the gas pedal to help match the revs and it's actually quite smooth.

If you are in auto, and tap the up or downshift button on the steering wheel, it will temporarily go into sport mode. It's a little confusing that, if you first tap a steering wheel shift button, then move the lever into "Sport Mode," the green "Sport Mode" text won't illuminate.
How is this confusing? If your in drive and you hit a shift button you will temporarily be in manual mode (Not sport mode as you have said). When you move the shifter to the left during this time you are still in manual mode. That is exactly how it its supposed to behave.

So there's Auto Mode, Sport Mode, and Manual Mode (which is a temporary state)

Engaging Manual mode via steering wheel btns, then moving the stick into "sport" mode bypasses the "Sport Mode" Illuminated Green text message.

I'm not saying it's hard to do but, just a little odd by design. Quirky.

Also, why do we need to know if the passenger airbag is on or off?

Sport mode the car feels like a totally different animal to me.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

what does this mean?

be safe

kleggo

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

what does this mean?

be safe

kleggo

Same here. I've been told that the timing changes a bit and the throttle body opens up all the way....I haven't researched to confirm this but I noticed that the car feels faster and peppier when in sport/full manual mode even before I heard that information.

Mike

http://kanedasrealm.net

I find that my car doesn't open up nearly the same way as it does in Sport mode. Maybe it's because I tend to drive a lot harder in sport mode and do all my lazy highway crusing in drive mode and it learned that? All I know is when I throw her into sport mode she's a lot more happy to speed up faster than if I stomp on it the same way in Drive mode.

Archived