LegacyGT.com

ABS light came on with a ER SS in the dash....

Mblock66

I know from doing a search that this probably has something to do with an ABS sensor going bad on one of the wheels. I have the ABS light on with an ER SS in the dash where the milage normally is. But not CEL.

I tried to pull an error code with my AP but got nothing, says there are no errors. Would you all think this is a bad sensor that just needs replacing?

How hard is this? I know it is under warrenty but I am afraid to go to the dealer now lol!

Plus I am hoping it is just coincidence but i just put on an AEM intake a week ago. I am hoping this isn't because of that. Like a MAF problem throwing the ABS off????

Thanks

Hmmm, interesting, I got the Error SS plus a CEL P0500 when it was raining hard. It has not come back yet (knocks on wood). I could not find where these sensor wires run under the hood. Perhaps if someone knows that, we might be able to find a way to protect them from water / or heat / or mouse problems?

• 4 months later...

I took it to the dealer and told me that I have a broken rear right speed sensor. They wouldn't fix it under warrenty due to my accident. So I went ahead and bought one. Does anyone know how hard this is to install one?

I hope i am not biting off more then I can chew on this one

The FSM only calls for 0.6 hrs of labor. So it can't be difficult to reach. From looking at the FSM, there's 3 bolts to remove. One for the sensor, and 2 that hold the sensor wire to the suspension arm. Looks super easy to do, I bet you can knock it out in 20-30 minutes.

• 2 years later...
how would one obtain the information needed to find out which sensor is causing the problems? I dont take my car to a dealer for any kind of work. Can you take it to lets say a brake shop or something to find out which sensor is the culprit? and then buy the sensor yourself?

OTM.

Sorry I didn't mean to start a war which mainly forum people is all about ;).

• 1 month later...

In my case, the er SS is coming on sometimes, only after operating the car and it gets at speed > 50 MPH for a couple of minutes. Stays on until shutting car off. Next start the ABS lights up and lingers for a few seconds longer than normal, but then shuts off and my ABS work... until I get the er SS again. Cycle repeats.

I bought an OBDII reader, and the ABS SS codes cannot be pulled on that. It's a manufacturer proprietary code. So you need expensive gear to read it, or go to dealer. Although, it does not have to be a Subaru dealer. My local GM dealer has a scanner tool with enough capability to pull the specific speed sensor code off my Legacy. In this case, he did not have 06 Legacy profile to match my car so he used 05 Legacy as a near enough match for car type. It pin pointed a rear left sensor... which narrows my efforts. My next move is to pull that sensor and look for damage, clean it or replace it as required. If the sensor is fine, it's the hub that needs to be replaced. Hoping it's just dirt.

Code still coming up after I pressure washed the bejeezus around all hubs from all angles with the tire taken off the car and jacked up.. trying to get soapy water in anywhere it could enter from road splash. And I did this while rotating hubs (they're hard to turn even when the manual transmission is in neutral). On my mechanics advice I did not remove the speed sensors and pressure wash down the hole the speed sensor fits into, I left them in place. And I still get the er SS code but less and less frequently. So maybe something is cleaning itself slowly or coming into alignment again, or whatever.

how would one obtain the information needed to find out which sensor is causing the problems? I dont take my car to a dealer for any kind of work. Can you take it to lets say a brake shop or something to find out which sensor is the culprit? and then buy the sensor yourself?

Your '05 LGT can display the "C" and "P" trouble codes in the dash display. The sensor problem will show up as a C code

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63922&highlight=white+codes+connectors

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
In my case, the er SS is coming on sometimes, only after operating the car and it gets at speed > 50 MPH for a couple of minutes. Stays on until shutting car off. Next start the ABS lights up and lingers for a few seconds longer than normal, but then shuts off and my ABS work... until I get the er SS again. Cycle repeats.

I bought an OBDII reader, and the ABS SS codes cannot be pulled on that. It's a manufacturer proprietary code. So you need expensive gear to read it, or go to dealer. Although, it does not have to be a Subaru dealer. My local GM dealer has a scanner tool with enough capability to pull the specific speed sensor code off my Legacy. In this case, he did not have 06 Legacy profile to match my car so he used 05 Legacy as a near enough match for car type. It pin pointed a rear left sensor... which narrows my efforts. My next move is to pull that sensor and look for damage, clean it or replace it as required. If the sensor is fine, it's the hub that needs to be replaced. Hoping it's just dirt.

Code still coming up after I pressure washed the bejeezus around all hubs from all angles with the tire taken off the car and jacked up.. trying to get soapy water in anywhere it could enter from road splash. And I did this while rotating hubs (they're hard to turn even when the manual transmission is in neutral). On my mechanics advice I did not remove the speed sensors and pressure wash down the hole the speed sensor fits into, I left them in place. And I still get the er SS code but less and less frequently. So maybe something is cleaning itself slowly or coming into alignment again, or whatever.

Solved my problem long ago and never looped back here to tell, so doing it now.

The problem was rust at the hole where speed sensor is mounted (top side of the hub). The sensor wants a flat metal mating surface, sensor pushes into the hole so its flat flange plastic part sits flush against the hub hole. The sensor is secured with ONE screw.

What happens: rust creates flaking of metal. Flakes lift off metal surfaces and push the sensor up. The sensor is effectively hinged by that one screw holding it in. This tilts the sensor in its mount hole, so it is no longer going straight down the hole. The tilt moves sensor tip in relation to the magneto ring. In my case, actually rubbing it so the plastic of sensor begins to wear at the tip. When the car eventually senses something is wrong with the signal (too strong, too weak, too different from other sensor strength, too many missed pulses, irregular pulse pattern, etc.. ) it throws SS or 55 code on the dash.

Rust is a slow thing. Explains the slow but steady onset of problem that degrades and becomes more pronounced, sooner in the drive cycle, etc.. until bam! it's happening all the time.

Fix: pull sensor, wad up some cotton down the hole, use a flat chisel to scrape the rust off and try to true up the mounting point so it's flat again. Pull out wad, insert sensor and screw it down.

Cheers!

• 5 months later...
The ABS wires run under the rear seat .. so you could pull them up and see if you have a nice mouse nest like I had .. more than likely its not the case .. but you never know! :)

Thread resurrection! I just found out that I had the same issue as you. Living in the woods in New England brings a few unique car care issues to the table.

I think I had a family of chipmunks storing their food for the winter in my back seat. A couple weeks ago I got the "ER SS" odometer warning, and diagnostics reported that the right rear sensor had no signal. Unfortunately I already replaced a speed sensor before looking here. Your post led me to the cause!

For reference, the third photo shows the twisted wires (ABS speed sensor wiring) and the chewed wiring is near the door frame at the bottom of the photo.

See attached photos for your entertainment...

DSC_7261.thumb.jpg.61a9ad9adab485f85f10e8c365b9d147.jpg

DSC_7258-2.thumb.jpg.9c9410be64e4fc76248c7feebcea9671.jpg

DSC_7264.thumb.jpg.85105f6a8d86c1e2a2543a5c75319deb.jpg

• 1 month later...
well all...on my way home tonight..its been raining for 3 days here now off and on, and low and behold ER 55 and abs light popped on..mine does appear to be 55 and not ss..just wondering if it could be all the wetness or perchaps some chipmunks and squirrels wreaking havoc like shutter above..ive had some critter probs before, looks like they may have gotten to my subie now..

Archived