LegacyGT.com

My first Un-Scheduled Maintenance problem :(

RobCatron

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all! I got my car back from the dealer's service center. They performed a diagnostic, and this is what they came up with: P0457--EVAP. SYSTEM LEAK FUEL CAP LOOSE/OR OFF FOUND LOOSE FUEL CAP...CLEARED DTC'S & RE-CHECKED--OK. This is what was written on my invoice word for word. Unbelievable!!! All that because my fuel cap wasn't screwed on tightly? jim

[quote name='momomax']Hi all! I got my car back from the dealer's service center. They performed a diagnostic, and this is what they came up with: P0457--EVAP. SYSTEM LEAK FUEL CAP LOOSE/OR OFF FOUND LOOSE FUEL CAP...CLEARED DTC'S & RE-CHECKED--OK. This is what was written on my invoice word for word. Unbelievable!!! All that because my fuel cap wasn't screwed on tightly? jim[/quote] The WRXes and STis have the same potential thing. It says quite clearly on the fuel cap that if it is loose, you can throw a check engine light. The usual advice is to get six clicks from the cap after it's "tight." Kevin

My '98 Bonneville would do the same thing. The 2nd day I was able to drive it (the first night I had it the motor blew up in it, damn the plastic upper intakes, so the 2nd day was after the motor was replaced), the CEL came on it. I freaked, brought it to a garage where I had friends working, and low and behold, I had not tightened the gas cap enough. Its easy enough to do, but damnit if I didn't torque that thing on from then on :P . Gas caps throwing CEL's have been around for a while.

[quote name='SUBE555']Why can't they just have a gas cap light illuminate on the dash instead? Would be a lot easier of a fix.[/quote] I would love to see what that icon would look like! I'm sorry, but I'm already tired of the 25 lights on this dash it has now, I mean do they really need to leave a light on ALL THE TIME to tell me my parking/headlights are on?!

[quote name='Ken'][quote name='SUBE555']Why can't they just have a gas cap light illuminate on the dash instead? Would be a lot easier of a fix.[/quote] I would love to see what that icon would look like! I'm sorry, but I'm already tired of the 25 lights on this dash it has now, I mean do they really need to leave a light on ALL THE TIME to tell me my parking/headlights are on?![/quote] I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds that annoying/amusing. :) Regarding SUBE's quote: I think this is an excellent argument for having a display in the cubby that can display "intelligent" messages instead of having a "check engine" light on the dash.

[quote name='brady_bunch']Regarding SUBE's quote: I think this is an excellent argument for having a display in the cubby that can display "intelligent" messages instead of having a "check engine" light on the dash.[/quote] Yes, then it could scroll "Your Headlights are on" continously across the display :wink:

[quote name='brady_bunch'] Regarding SUBE's quote: I think this is an excellent argument for having a display in the cubby that can display "intelligent" messages instead of having a "check engine" light on the dash.[/quote] I'm waiting for someone to report that they have a proper OBD II computer interface working.. Not sure what bus it is so I don't want to chance it. Once we have it though, you can get important messages like that. i.e. Knock sensor. Boost.... i.e. from [url]http://www.scantool.net[/url]

[quote name='SUBE555']Why can't they just have a gas cap light illuminate on the dash instead? Would be a lot easier of a fix.[/quote] I have been having intermittent CELs on my wife's miata, and when I posted this very same gas cap light suggestion on forums.miata.net, and having the digital odometer display the OBD codes when you turn the key six times, or something... Have it flash the gas level idiot light three times, pause, and three flashes.... How hard would that be, rather than freaking out owners with a CEL for a "loose gas cap." Thats just BS. I got flamed for it. (probably will again) I just want a computerized car to obey it's owner, rather than cater to dealers. Probably no chance of that. "But it'd be a dollar more per car to implement, and 99% of people won't use it, so factories won't do it..." Ok, so those of us who know better, are S-O-L. Great. I hate Least common denominator arguments like that... I think they should just replace the Check Engine light, or icon, to a green Dollar sign, and say "Take it to the dealer, and grab your ankles." All this technology, and it causes more headaches than it solves. It could help, but NOOOOOO. :x

The technology is there where all you have to do is press a "explain" button, and the ECM (or an ancilliary device) could verbally explain the CEL via the audio system. The voice data could easily stored in NVRAM, thus making it updateable. It also can't be too expensive, since your top tier motherboard manufactures have already incorporated speech into their BIOS (I know ASUS and Gigabyte does), and THAT is a very cost competitve market! If they found a way to do it at a reasonable price, the car OEMs should have no problem!

I too had this check engine and cruise light problem, it wasn't a gas cap thing, apparently my wiring for the fuel pump and gas sensor were loose and had disconected. The dealer repaired it under warrantly and no further issues. They had to take out the rear seats for the repair so I guess the connection is near the fuel tank.

I totally agree with iwannasportsedan, there should be a way to output OBDII codes integrated in to the "information display", especially if it gave the actual problem (cyl 4 misfire) instead of "41104", or whatever the OBDII code is for that. That way, you can determine yourself if you need to go to the dealership or not. The books only change when the calibration changes, so just have the calibrators load an extra 512k worth of text. I know it's possible, because there's obviously logic that takes OBDII values and interprets them to make the miles-to-empty calculations &c. I'd be willing to put up with the codebook, but it really wouldn't be that hard to keep it all digital. I'll ask one of the powertrain calibrators I used to work for about it next time I see them.

Cadillacs and certain other GM cars have been able to output messages concerning MIL codes to the Driver Information Center for years. This gives the driver far more information about what's going on than a silly "check engine" light.

• 1 month later...
I just bought a GT.Ltd. sedan, when the temp control is as cold as it can go, 65, warm air comes out of the vents. My service manager used his termomoter and checked the outside air, it was 78, the air coming out of the vents was 101! We tried everything under the sun to fix the problem, no luck. SOA is supposed to come up with a fix. Many other ltd. owners have posted about the same problems on many other boards. My wifes new forrester does't have this problem. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I'm waiting for an answer from SOA. My wife and I buy 2 new cars every two years, if this problem isn't solved in a timely manner, I will revert back to buying Acuras again. When and if SOA solves this problem, I will post it on this and every other board that I have complained on.

[quote name='Whatcanitellyou']I just bought a GT.Ltd. sedan, when the temp control is as cold as it can go, 65, warm air comes out of the vents. My service manager used his termomoter and checked the outside air, it was 78, the air coming out of the vents was 101! We tried everything under the sun to fix the problem, no luck. SOA is supposed to come up with a fix. Many other ltd. owners have posted about the same problems on many other boards. My wifes new forrester does't have this problem. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I'm waiting for an answer from SOA. My wife and I buy 2 new cars every two years, if this problem isn't solved in a timely manner, I will revert back to buying Acuras again. When and if SOA solves this problem, I will post it on this and every other board that I have complained on.[/quote] Really? I've not seen many other topics on the same matter. Could you point us to some. Also, this seems like a new topic to me, not sure why you added it to this thread (a Check Engine Light thread). Try this one: [url]http://www.legacygt.com/viewtopic.php?t=2435[/url]

• 3 weeks later...
I was a little skeptical when rao wrote the battery disconnect info. So I tried it b/c my 05 gt ltd just got the bug and i remember the night before filling up and tightening the gas cap what i thought was more clicks than i should have (at least 5 clicks). Any way check my cap immediately after the lights started blinking and i was solid in place. So i am gonna cancel my appt with the dealer and wait till i get an oil change in a about 150 miles. I didn't feel a change in the drivability nor performance during this nerve racking couple of days

[quote name='RoundBoy']your gas cap clicks ? Mine just has a twist on / off .... you turn it a 1/2 turn and you can't turn it anymore.... no making sure you 'click' so its locked... I am driving a 05 LGT sedan[/QUOTE] You sure it doesn't click...seems strange they would make different ones...I have an LGT sedan as well and its click happy.

[quote name='RoundBoy']your gas cap clicks ? Mine just has a twist on / off .... you turn it a 1/2 turn and you can't turn it anymore.... no making sure you 'click' so its locked... I am driving a 05 LGT sedan[/QUOTE] Mine does click! and I read in the manual that I have to click it atleast 3 times to make sure that it's secure. (driving 2.5i sedan)

• 2 weeks later...
I have no experienced the check engine/cruise light, i've reset it twice using Rao's technique within the past 2 days, so its gonna have to see a dealer, just thought i'd let you guys know, i have a new thread since i didn't know about this one where i will post any and all findings whenever i get them. And i checked my gas cap both times before resetting the stupid thing, so they had better not try to feed me that BS, i won't buy it :). best of luck to anyone else who runs into this problem.

Archived