LegacyGT.com

Quiet(ish) Exhaust Upgrade?

Hey everyone!

Looking to upgrade my 2011 Legacy 3.6R exhaust to bring out more of that boxer-6 rumble. My only issue is I run a small business in IT and don't want to drive an 'unprofessional' vehicle to client houses (hence why I chose a Legacy over something like a WRX). I am still very much a car guy, however, and want to enjoy the sound of my Subie. Any ideas on exhaust upgrades to bring out that boxer rumble but still stay somewhat quiet? I'm totally okay with a little more volume but definitely not something like many of the Nameless exhausts I've seen. Something between a Nameless setup and stock would be great. Probably axle-back as opposed to cat-back, but if I can find a cat-back setup that stays at a relatively 'low profile' volume, I'd be all for it. Thanks!

I have Nameless with 5” mufflers. I feel it’s a nice middle ground with sound. One member has something like Magnaflow that’s sounds pretty good as well. 

The 3.6 might sound a bit different though. 

Nameless 5" is LOUD on 3.6R. It sounds incredible, but quiet is one thing it isn't. Usually the best option for a good sound and reasonable volume on 3.6's is the Invidia Q300 catback. Get the one for the GT, the mid-pipe will need to be extended slightly, but other than that its a straight fit. 

Keep in mind though, you're not going to get rumble out of a flat-six like you would from a flat-four. You'll get smooth, porsche-like, JZ/RB-like sound instead. Still a fantastic exhaust note, but Subaru's trademark rumble, it will never be.

Here's my own 3.6R with the Nameless 5" and Inferno catted headers.

Edited by Humble Rumble
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ok, on yours it sounds great, I have a feeling those headers have something to do with it. 

I was comparing it to the Nameless without mufflers. There is nothing quite about those. 😁

• Like 1

The headers just expanded the sound characteristics, they're still fairly loud on the 3.6R on stock headers. They do get darn near silent when off the throttle or at travel speed, but the Q300 is overall a more "mature" sounding system if you're worried about being perceived as professional or not. It also has the advantage of being a catback rather than axlebacks. 

• Like 1