LegacyGT.com

Legacy to be discontinued after 2025 model year

How do you all feel about the news that Subaru is discontinuing the Legacy after the 2025 model year? I loved my 2009 and 2015 Legacys, the first with 250,000 miles and the second with over 300,000 miles. I have a 2024 Outback Onyx Edition now, but was probably going to go back to Legacy after my lease ends.

https://media.subaru.com/pressrelease/2165/1/subaru-announces-legacy-production-end-2025

Sad. Our 23 Legacy (2nd legacy) is a great experience (except to SLOW head unit) but not a surprise really. Legacy sells have been declining for years. With the cost of either a dedicated line or retooling one to run it likely wasn't a big money maker.   

Edited by pduncan1963

Once the Camry got AWD, I think the Legacy had served its purpose. The new one is a perfectly fine car, but that infotainment system is awful, and buyers are gonna prefer the more popular Accord and Camry, regardless. That head unit isn't helping it, though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2024 at 11:35 AM, silverton said:

The new camry is a better looking car too.  That TRD trim they have, woof!

To bad after the 2024 model year Toyota will no longer offer a V6 in any car they sell for that brand.  You would need to go to Lexus to get the 3.5.  Toyota will still continue to put the 4.0 in the Tacoma.

Seems like for the 2025 model year the Camry is only going to have the 2.5 four banger or the hybrid.  But the 25 Camry looks really nice.

As far as the TRD Camry. It's sorta a joke.  It looks nice.  But the FWD just does not do it. It drives nice as well.  But that's about where it ends.  Just a body kit.

17 minutes ago, MoleMan said:

To bad after the 2024 model year Toyota will no longer offer a V6 in any car they sell for that brand.  You would need to go to Lexus to get the 3.5.  Toyota will still continue to put the 4.0 in the Tacoma.

Seems like for the 2025 model year the Camry is only going to have the 2.5 four banger or the hybrid.  But the 25 Camry looks really nice.

As far as the TRD Camry. It's sorta a joke.  It looks nice.  But the FWD just does not do it. It drives nice as well.  But that's about where it ends.  Just a body kit.

When Subaru got rid of their 3.6L, they replaced it with a 2.4L Turbo and about the same horsepower. Will Toyota also be replacing their 6cyl with a 4cyl turbo?

2 minutes ago, longmuirj said:

When Subaru got rid of their 3.6L, they replaced it with a 2.4L Turbo and about the same horsepower. Will Toyota also be replacing their 6cyl with a 4cyl turbo?

Nope.

Just the 2.5 and Hybrid from what I see when I go and build a new Camry on Toyota.com. the Corolla GR still retains the three cylinder turbo(300 hp out of a three cylinder and AWD OMG!)

Yeah the 2.4 to me is more to torqy but the 3.6 is just so buttery smooth. If I wanted a turbo I would just go and get another WRX and end it lol.

The Tundras have gone to six cylinder Turbos with an option for the V8 on the top trim only.

The Avalon is gone off the lineup as well.  Honda also removed the six cylinders from the Accord a few years back only offering the 1.5t and 2.0t.

I think we will start to see larger displacement engines start going away to make room for electric and four cylinders.

13 minutes ago, MoleMan said:

Nope.

Just the 2.5 and Hybrid from what I see when I go and build a new Camry on Toyota.com. the Corolla GR still retains the three cylinder turbo(300 hp out of a three cylinder and AWD OMG!)

Yeah the 2.4 to me is more to torqy but the 3.6 is just so buttery smooth. If I wanted a turbo I would just go and get another WRX and end it lol.

The Tundras have gone to six cylinder Turbos with an option for the V8 on the top trim only.

The Avalon is gone off the lineup as well.  Honda also removed the six cylinders from the Accord a few years back only offering the 1.5t and 2.0t.

I think we will start to see larger displacement engines start going away to make room for electric and four cylinders.

I prefer a 6cyl than a 4cyl. Like you said, much smoother when accelerating without pushing the tachometer and feeling like the engine is going to explode. I had 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with 200hp and a 6cyl and it ran so smooth. I might do a hybrid, but I am not ready for a full electric car yet. I like being able to "gas up" in five minutes and go, rather than wait more than a hour for it to charge on long trips.

On 5/15/2024 at 5:50 PM, longmuirj said:

I prefer a 6cyl than a 4cyl. Like you said, much smoother when accelerating without pushing the tachometer and feeling like the engine is going to explode. I had 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with 200hp and a 6cyl and it ran so smooth. I might do a hybrid, but I am not ready for a full electric car yet. I like being able to "gas up" in five minutes and go, rather than wait more than a hour for it to charge on long trips.

Speaking of Grand Prize.

I had a GTP version of that car. And I also had a Bonneville SSEI.  Tons of get up and go from The Superchargers.

As far as the Turbos. If they are just cruising I really don't see any power and loss compared to the 3.6. but I do see a difference getting into the highway where the turbo will scoot you but as you said it's getting pushed and that's what I hate about my commuter special 4 cylinder Honda. Just feels like it's gonna fall out of the car when getting into a highway.