LegacyGT.com

Injector seal confusion

Hi

In the middle of a rebuild and noticed that the injectors were kind of flopping around in the tgv's so after posting here I went and bought new injector seals from a Subaru dealership. They look pretty different than what was originally on there. Taking the original seal off took some amount of effort as it was on there pretty good where the new seal would just go on and come off very easily it could almost fall off if I shook it . Another weird thing it seems that the original injector seals have a flange that makes it fit nicely inside of the new seals so I'm wondering if this was a two-piece setup. Everything that I see in the manual shows just one rubber piece between the injector and the tgv . I called the dealership and sent them pictures and they are stumped as according to them there is only one seal between the actual injector and the tgv. They also assured me that I have the right part number for my car. I'm also wondering if perhaps the seals change shape as the car runs . I'm pretty confused on this any help would be appreciated Please see pics below to show the differences

pro-WdVRKlsy.jpeg

pro-HZQNyheA.jpeg

20240419_165028.jpg

20240419_165022.jpg

20240419_164952.jpg

20240419_164947.jpg

20240419_164929.jpg

pro-eNR43wlx.jpeg

Edited by nebula72

This is the same problem you're talking about here, yes?

Do the new seals at least get the injectors to sit snug in the rails? It's port injection, so it's not like you'll have carbon build up around the injector nozzle in that little gap. As long as the seal holds pressure and injectors are centred, I can't see it making any meaningful difference. Some seals and gaskets have changed over the years, but are functionally the same. (Intake manifold gaskets are different, TGV o-rings are a new design, etc...)

Aftermarket kits looks the same as the OE ones you picked up. (per Rockauto)

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=3778296&cc=1433582&pt=13679&jsn=10587&optionchoice=0-0-1-1

I suspect you'll be fine, and some of the shape of those o-rings could be them forming to the rail over time, but that little middle flange it probably just a change in production.

Posted (edited)

Once installed they do feel more snug but I was ust concerned about how different they look and how Loosely they fit on the injector when I first put it on. I had to literally pry the old one off with a screwdriver and a pick where the new ones just fell in with a gap around the nozzle. if I were to turn the injector upside down the new one would fall out with ease. However once everything was installed it did feel like it was fairly snug.

Edited by nebula72