LegacyGT.com

Leaking fuel at the fuel sending unit.

My cars fuel pump unit is leaking where the unit and gas tank meet and I can't figure how to fix it. I replaced the rubber gasket and cleaned the mating surface on the gas tank. I also replaced the top plastic of the housing of sending unit where all the gas lines connect thinking there was maybe a crack by where the seal sits. A good amount of fuel is coming out around when the gas tank is full where the unit seals. I can smell a ton of gasoline that is starting to get very annoying even when low on fuel. I am not sure what should be the next thing to do. Has anyone had this issue or any ideas on how to fix it. 

I had the same problem, and it for me it WAS cracking of top plastic hat/cap of the fuel pump assy.

At the time, I could only find a part number for the whole pump assembly and since I was putting a new uprated pump in anyway, it didn't make much sense to spend OE money on a thing, just to replace some plastic. (Did you find the part number for just the 'hat'? If yes, please share....)

My ah... solution? was to use fuel safe RTV and slaz that on where the leak was getting through. Solved the problem. Made a larger problem when I next need to access the tank or pump. In my case, I installed new everything (tank, pump, fuel filler neck all EVAP hoses, etc.... so I've got my fingers crossed I am 10+ years away from needing to deal with that again?

BUT, I do not smell fuel any more, and I can drive safely and forget about it, until I can't.... make sense? ;)

I was able to just buy the top plastic cap so that I wouldn't have to spend the extra money on the entire unit but mine is still leaking when the tank is full and right at around the gasket. I bought it last summer just haven't installed till about a few days ago so I don't know the part for sure. But I went looking online and I think this is the part number (42052AG87A). I am going to try some fuel specific rtv next and see if that does anything. If that doesn't work I am going to order a new metal bracket and try that next. Don't want to spend the $600 for a new gas tank if I can avoid it. 

• Thanks 1

I had no reaL choice by then, since my filler neck was already going, etc…

Hopefully you can seal it up with rtv, but I will say that the Spectra tank I got was great. Fit perfectly. Dorman also makes good stuff in that regard. It just has to fit and hold fuel, so it was one of those things I felt aftermarket was just fine.

Under $400 CAD at rockauto. If it comes to that. It would at least be half of the price of OE.

Edited by KZJonny