LegacyGT.com

Rodent wire damage/ corrosion. No start.

Went to the car wash,  turned engine off while cleaning interior..  When attempting to start car got slow crank and then nothing.  Tried jump starting, got nothing.  Battery was showing 12.30 volts..  Upon inspection when I touched the wire going from the Solenoid to the Starter it crumbled and severed.  I was shocked with the condition of the wire!   I don't know how the car had been starting before with such a poor connection!  I came here looking for insight on how to repair?  After researching I have located the part I would need, problem is I can't seem to find it available for a 2015 Legacy 3.6R .  Part is the " Brush holder assembly ".  It appears to be available for the 4th generation but not the 5th or 6th?   

Thanks for checking out my post.  

That sounds like its part of the starter...? I have not seen a "brush holder assembly"

You may try here, https://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/subaru.html

Have you tried the junkyards site, car-part.com 

For the rodent issue, I recommend Tom Cat mouse blocks. I have been putting them around the property for many years to keep mice away. I throw one under the seat in my 86' Ford F150 that always sits outside. I have them on the floor in both sheds where my power equip sits and on the garage floor. Also have some in the basement by the hatchway door. I even have one by the corner of the house near one of the downspouts, where years ago I believe mice were climbing up under the corner siding and getting into the attic above the bedroom. I have also thrown blocks in that area in the attic. 

Also before the garage, both my Legacy's had blocks under the seats.

You can find Tom Cat mouse blocks at many places, I found my local Lot's and More still has the bag of them for $7.00 which is the same price I paid for the last bag a few years ago.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Thanks 1

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

On 4/19/2024 at 8:58 PM, waldguy said:

nicely done.  Just curious, did you get an OEM or what for a starter?  Cost?

Hey there...   Yes I went with the OEM Denso starter.  I ordered it reman from Rock Auto.  Out the door with shipping it cost $168 and that included $51 core!   Not bad at all.  My local dealership quoted me $ 355 for the starter.   I did find it cheaper on Subaru.oempartsonline.com for $238.  Both of those are with no core option.

• Like 1