LegacyGT.com

H621SAN000 Legacy CD Player Kit Installed

Installed the CD player kit last week and thought I would post my thoughts...

$275 online for the kit. Average install labor cost at dealership $375.

(Let's just skip "you should have gotten a car that came with one", "there are less expensive options you can buy", "just put your music on a flash drive", "warranty", etc, etc, etc)

I just want to share information.

First... Thank you avk for the info provided.

Second... I would not take this on unless you have 'better than average' maintenance skills. I am an A&P, this is my third legacy, and I do all of my own maintenance.

My vehicle has the 11.6" infotainment screen which is not depicted, but is only a minor annoyance. Used the 2020 Legacy / Outback CD Player, Issue 01, Date 04/02/2019 Instructions pdf. There may be updates but I didn't want to drop another $35 to root-around looking.

*Take pictures of the Head Unit connections before you remove them.

You loose more of the miniscule amount of center console storage available on these models as that's where SOA chose to locate it. I would have preferred it to be in the glovebox like the old Ford Taurus SHO's.

I disconnected the battery the night before as I'm paranoid about airbags and there is one located below the steering wheel now where the lower trim panel is removed.

They missed a screw towards the center console, bottom of the RH lower dash trim panel.

Missed moving the drivers seat forward (if powered) to allow access to the console box bolt before disconnecting the battery. Passenger seat as well (if powered).

I ended up moving the shifter back to neutral before removing the shifter knob to give a bit more space to make connections to the Head Unit.

I also installed and connected the CD player first, then routed/secured the power and USB harnesses going forward as depicted to insure adequate length to make the connections to the Head Unit. 

"Reconnect all remaining connectors to radio and telematics module" cracked me up as there are about 12 connections to remake. Most are 'dummy proof'. They didn't say where to connect the smaller power connecter into the Head Unit. Worked that out using process of elimination and taking many *pictures during disassembly.

Missed transfer of the little rubber bumpers for the center console top lid to the new console side panels.

3 hours start to finish for me.

The Infotainment screen identifies the CD player automatically in the menu under "Media". When selected, the CD screen appears with control buttons (play/shuffle/repeat).

I intended to make another installation video, but, time would not allow.

Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Edited by Painless
  • Like 1