LegacyGT.com

Leaking rear shock absorber

Took my 22' Legacy XT to my mechanic for a routine oil change, and he pointed out that my LR shock was covered with hydraulic fluid (other three were dry/fine). I was a bit sceptical at first, with the car a bit over 7K on the ODO -but he noted that the strut base was also covered with fluid so I took it to a dealer earlier today. They inspected it and confirmed that the LR shock needed to be replaced, ordered a new one and it should arrive next week and will be replaced under warranty. Dealer tech told me it's not very common for a shock to go bad this early, and I am inclined to agree (did a search on the Outback forum and found just one reported instance of this, with 30K miles on the ODO). Could have been a dud part, or a pothole hit. In any case, recommend checking your shocks for leakage when you have it on a lift.

"The best way to check your shock absorbers is to feel the damper (the rod) with your fingers. Your fingers should stay dry, but if they do feel slightly wet, wipe the damper down and check it again a couple of days later. If you can then feel oil or see that your shock absorbers are leaking, head to a garage straight away"

• Like 2

Lol, wasn't aware it was a common issue in Subarus. In my prior sedan (07 Infiniti G35x) the shocks lasted 150K (but nearly every other suspension component failed prior to that, go figure). All I know is that I wouldn't have noticed this if it wasn't pointed out to me - not something I am used to checking routinely on my own when changing oil.