LegacyGT.com

OTB to Legacy suspension

Hi, at first sorry if spamming, but I could not find an answer. I want to put my OTB BP lower. Ideally I would use serial Legacy suspension, because roads are bumpy and I carry children. I've found all parts I need to change. My question is: do I need to modify fenders or mudguards somehow? The suspension is pretty soft and I do not want hit fenders with wheels or to change wheel geometry. I use 205/60 R16 - 6.5Jx16 ET48 in winter and 215/55 R17 - 7.5Jx17 ET48 in summer, maybe 225/45 R18 - 8Jx18 ET45 in the future. I do not plan to use any wider rims. I need the car daily so would like to prepare all I need and change suspension in one day. I do not wanna try and fix. Any experience with this? Or do I have to use GT/Spec-B suspension?

Edited by Michal Ko

• Michal Ko changed the title to OTB to Legacy suspension

Stock 225/55/17 tires on stock wheels won't rub on a stock Legacy suspension as far as I know.   I had legacy struts + H&R legacy lowering springs and I still barely rubbed with 225/55/17 and 225/50/18 tires. 

I recommend you change the fronts first... And then if you run out of time you could still drive the car and do the rears another day.. Granted, don't push it in corners.   If you changed 1 corner or one whole side I would imagine the car would be very unpredictable even at reasonable speeds. 

FYI - I currently am running Outback springs shoved into Legacy struts. It sits a little higher than a stock legacy, but lower than an outback.  Definitely an improvement in handling. Lots of tire clearance.  

Spec.B suspension isn't needed,  but would be more performance oriented than Legacy GT.  I can't comment on the comfort. 

• Thanks 1

Spec B stuff is only maybe another 1/2” lower than stock Legacy.

The Bilsteins are a much better ride than stock KYBs tho. You do, however need top hats to go with the front struts. Stock hats do not work.

If it is a family hauling daily, it may not be worth the extra effort and cost. KYB GR-2s are much cheaper and designed to make up for old/tired springs.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/15/2024 at 7:30 PM, jonnyt88 said:

Stock 225/55/17 tires on stock wheels won't rub on a stock Legacy suspension as far as I know.   I had legacy struts + H&R legacy lowering springs and I still barely rubbed with 225/55/17 and 225/50/18 tires. 

I recommend you change the fronts first... And then if you run out of time you could still drive the car and do the rears another day.. Granted, don't push it in corners.   If you changed 1 corner or one whole side I would imagine the car would be very unpredictable even at reasonable speeds. 

FYI - I currently am running Outback springs shoved into Legacy struts. It sits a little higher than a stock legacy, but lower than an outback.  Definitely an improvement in handling. Lots of tire clearance.  

Spec.B suspension isn't needed,  but would be more performance oriented than Legacy GT.  I can't comment on the comfort. 

Outback springs shoved into Legacy struts - this never came into my mind. This might be reasonable solution for me as well; thank you! You put adapters (20511AG000) out, didn't you?

Edited by Michal Ko

3 hours ago, Michal Ko said:

Outback springs shoved into Legacy struts - this never came into my mind. This might be reasonable solution for me as well; thank you! You put adapters (20511AG000) out, didn't you?

Google says this is "Engine Cradle Spacer"... So nope I didn't.  entire Spring strut assembly.   The rears have a spacer ontop of the strut so I also pressed in longer top hat bolts.

Also upper control arms in the back....  Though I'm not sure if this is necessary with the outback springs in Legacy struts.  They were for when I was on the Legacy HR lower springs. 

• Thanks 1