LegacyGT.com

TMIC: Why remove the engine cover?

Why does everyone remove their engine cover? I would think it was designed to make a tighter seal for the TMIC to receive cooler outside air though the hood scoop. 
I know that an open air filter element inside the engine compartment draws hot air, which defeats the purpose (unless you provide a heat baffle and a cold air source). Isn’t this engine cover seal the same thing? If it’s not there, isn’t the top mount intercooler getting a lot of hot air from the engine?
Maybe aftermarket TMIC’s are larger than oem IC’s so it won’t fit, but why take it out if you’re running the stock IC?

IMG_8555.thumb.jpeg.6fa11c78c612df84e9a01ead4b42aee8.jpeg

I took mine off a couple of days after buying the car, to see what was under there, June 28 2004. While doing that, I lost one of the plastic clips. I never put the cover back on. In fact, I have the one from my 09 Spec B in the basement. I took it off after buying that car too.

I'd rather open the hood and quickly scan the engine for issues. With that cover on, I can't see any possible issues before something bad happens. 

Many years ago, there was/is a thread where we talked about this.

Here's what you want to do.

DSCN7057.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Now the under engine cover, you want to leave on, it helps air flow while driving by making a low pressure area under/behind the engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here