LegacyGT.com

2013 outback 3.6 serpentine broken (think)

Hey All - so I did this serpentine belt in the past year or so - and it just snapped as my kiddo was driving up. car is about 160k miles, (all is well otw) - any diagnostics or replacements you recommend? 

order for me is 

1) check spinny and  bearing noise on tensioner pulley, (check alignment) (this was ok last time)

2) new belt - duh

3) check "feel" of alternator

Is there anything else you recommend I check out? 

He let me know he felt the power steering get harder - so figure the belt snapped as he was driving. he got about 10 miles ish - then the battery died (or at least started acting wierd in the car when the voltage started to drop ) 

--Adrian

Edited by peril

now to the fun part - the air conditioner mounting bracket has a post that got chewed up - going to need to replace. Also on a bit of a rat hole to replace the bearing on the tensioner / idlers as maintence items. going to fix up the tensioner bearing while I have this on the mind. (The idler is toast - need a new one.)

6203 steel caged bearings from amazon here I come. 

Adrian

• Like 1

All done ! The idler mangle on the bracket is manageable for now - if it dies again - I replace the bracket.

idler pulley (mine was bent ..) (following worked well) -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HL6VY2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bearings for tensioner pulley -> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08XZHN9NS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and just a standard belt. 

and this little diagram is the shiz.

graphic

Edited by peril
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, peril said:

for hte actual tension of the tensioner pulley - what is that torque? Is that the same as the idler pulley? I don't see that

here image.thumb.png.3dd03549c170f8bb79aafc3b207aadfe.png

I did 30ish lbs with a box wrench - tight - but not crazy tight.

• 2 weeks later...

I realize that I'm late to the party on this one, but I had squeal coming from the accessory belt system and was scandalized by the cost of simple pulleys. I bought new Timken bearings for both the idler and tensioner pulleys and drove them in with a bolt, washers, nuts, and a combination of aluminum seal driver plates and cast steel plates from a FWD bearing press kit I have laying around. It did not, however, solve the issue for long. Turns out that while the bearings were a little chewy and definitely should have been replaced, the issue ended up being my alternator being on its way out. I've not had any weird noises since I replaced the later dead alternator.

That said, those bearings absolutely can be replaced for a couple bucks and a bit of your time, assuming your pulleys are still in good shape and you're willing to fabricobble something together to drive them in.

Edited by SchwarzeEwigkt
Left something out.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Driving that sucker in there was a bit scary - I used a 32 or 36 impact turned around and it fit PERFECT into the same space as the bearing - scared the crap out of me that I wouldn't be able to get it out.