LegacyGT.com

4th Gen OBW CVT To 5th Gen Legacy GT Swap

50 minutes ago, SubaruSquirrel said:

I got my donor car. It's a 2010 LGT w/ 130K miles. 

Nice to see an update!  So how are you gonna start going about this?

6 minutes ago, Scubaboo said:

Nice to see an update!  So how are you gonna start going about this?

Going to rebuild the motor to begin with. Have the valves & seats ground so they seal like new and hone the cylinders so I can put new piston rings in. I want to get it back to like-new condition. Planning on eventually going for 300AWHP. Gonna go with an air-to-water IC setup. Partially to avoid the mess of piping for an FMIC and also to have more consistent charge temps. Other than that, I plan to just swap everything from the LGT over, sound system, HVAC, etc. Whatever doesn't match what is currently in my OBW. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Very cool!

Have you seen the sticky by Fahr_side on making power with the 5th gen motors?  He mentions cam differences that you may want to add to your plan of work, much simpler to do while motor out and being rebuilt.

EDIT: engine bay pretty tight to fit a AWIC reservoir, trunk mount?  Who are you going with for parts for your setup?

Edited by Scubaboo

On 5/5/2024 at 10:27 PM, Scubaboo said:

Very cool!

Have you seen the sticky by Fahr_side on making power with the 5th gen motors?  He mentions cam differences that you may want to add to your plan of work, much simpler to do while motor out and being rebuilt.

EDIT: engine bay pretty tight to fit a AWIC reservoir, trunk mount?  Who are you going with for parts for your setup?

I was already looking at the Brian Crower Stage 2 cams. I have the Delta Cams Torque 1000 grind in the ej253 in my outback now and they made a good improvement in low to mid-range torque, so I'm no stranger to upgrading cams. It is one of the biggest bangs for the buck if you ask me. 

I'm thinking about swapping my EJ253 intake manifold onto the EJ255... Reason being is it will give me a center positioned throttle body and then using a barrel type AWIC. That way I can run the charge pipe from the turbo up and over the engine like it is stock, through the barrel AWIC and right into the TB. I'll have to do an aftermarket air intake to eliminate the box and that'll free up room to put a reservoir. I'll insulate everything from the engine bay heat, too. Not sure where I will mount the radiator(s) yet... Thinking about inside of the wheel wells under the headlights and then putting fans on them. Not sure if I will do 1 radiator or two. Between rebuilding the engine, upgrading cams and the AWIC system that will probably tap out my funds for engine work, but it'll put me in a nice place. Tempted to get an aftermarket 3" j-pipe, too. Probably get an electronic boost controller, too... That'll be easier to plumb and wire in while I have the whole dash ripped out. I'm still planning on changing the rear suspension bushings to urethane while I have it all apart. 

I'm shopping around the internet for the best prices on the parts. 

Suggestions on a good clutch setup that will handle the future HP yet not be too stiff or prone to chatter?

Sounds like upgraded cams are already on the list.  Fahr_side just mentioned the stockers have less lift than say the STI ones, impacting power at higher stage tunes, so your mods take care of that nicely.

I've not heard all good about barrels, some say they dont work so well, but have not read enough to make a decision on my own plans.  I do like the barrels too for ease of positioning.  PWR and Plazmaman are some I read a lot about as good stuff so far.  Frozenboost also gets mentioned on the budget end of the scale.

Interesting layout you got planned, looks very doable and I've not seen one like that yet.  Long thread on Nasioc and a recent one too on the 2.5 ej section there too to compare notes on.

i've got a 5EAT so no help on the manual trans parts but the other guys on here should have info for you.. Try the build threads up in the stickies too, some may be old but lots will still help for sure.

I wasn't sure how well the barrel type AWICs work, so I need to research that first. This project is going nowhere fast right now. I've been too busy to spend much time working on it and since it is at my buddies machine shop 20min away, I can't just pop outside to my driveway and work on it when I have some spare time. My first goal is to just get the engine out and disassembled so I can get it to the engine machinist. 

I'll have to see if I can find the lift and duration specs on the STi cams and compare to the BC Stage 2's... Also do some research and see what other people who have installed the BC Stage 2's have to say. 

I'm not planning on really doing anything with the transmission. I'd love to get a Suretrac rear diff, but they're kinda pricey on eBay. Maybe something that I'll do later on. 

I appreciate all of your help and input, Scubaboo.

No prob at all SubaruSquirel, just passing along stuff I come across that may help.  

Oh we all know how that feels...I have a whole shelf of mod parts and its been there for years and I never did get around to to putting them on. But at least the car runs. Hope you get yours running soon and post it on here, you have an interesting project for sure!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

not much of upgrade per-se, but i went with an exedy stage 1 when i changed out my clutch.  works great for a stage 1 tune.  much ove rthat and i'm not sure.  can look at SPEC clutches - had a stage 2 on my medium turbo GTi years ago and with the stock flywheel it was perfectly fine - no chatter or nothin.  best bet would be to look at the wrx guys and see what they're doing for your general power level you're looking for.  unless you're going big turbo, i'd imagine a stage 1 would hold pretty well, but i never planned to really push power past tune level, so i never really did the research

Edited by creep_nu
  • Like 2

yeah, the updated pivot and clutch fork would definitely be a good idea, kicking myself i didn't throw them in when i had the chance, and i am *not* dropping the transmission just to put em in lol

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Yes we just had a member with a shattered clutch fork.  He just finished replacing it, everything else was fine.  

EDIT: it was Plastixx who just had his foek replaced.  Falcor comented he had upgraded his fork to a forged one for peace of mind. 

Its being discussed on the last page of the what did you do to your Legacy thread if you want to check it out.

Edited by Scubaboo
Thread info
  • Like 2

No, I haven't fully decided if I'm gonna use my OB hood or swap the LGT one on. I do like the look with the scoop, but I know that it doesn't flow air very well for an IC. Mostly want to do an AWIC so I don't have to plumb an FMIC. I'm even still 50/50 on AAIC or AWIC. I do like that that AWIC has more stabilized charge air temps. 

2 hours ago, SubaruSquirrel said:

No, I haven't fully decided if I'm gonna use my OB hood or swap the LGT one on. I do like the look with the scoop, but I know that it doesn't flow air very well for an IC. Mostly want to do an AWIC so I don't have to plumb an FMIC. I'm even still 50/50 on AAIC or AWIC. I do like that that AWIC has more stabilized charge air temps. 

Dont dismiss the hoodscoop just yet.

https://www.legacygt.com/topic/121698-study-of-hood-scoop-effectiveness-and-intercooler-airflow/

You said that you are looking to make 300awhp  my car made 292awhp with dyno tune, 3 port ebcs, after market bypass valve and catback exhaust. I knows with similar numbers. If you install STi cams it will probably make 300awhp and a j pipe will. If you want better cooling to intake charge use a wrx iC that fits. It will make you like much easier using off the shelf parts and easily obtainable aftermarket parts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dgoodhue said:

You said that you are looking to make 300awhp  my car made 292awhp with dyno tune, 3 port ebcs, after market bypass valve and catback exhaust. I knows with similar numbers. If you install STi cams it will probably make 300awhp and a j pipe will. If you want better cooling to intake charge use a wrx iC that fits. It will make you like much easier using off the shelf parts and easily obtainable aftermarket parts. 

wow, I'm pleasantly surprised with that info. Which BPV did you go with? What's your boost pressure? I was reading on here that if you go over like 18psi you need head studs... Is that the case? Since I'm going to overhaul the engine should I go with studs anyway? How about the head gaskets - Is there a preferred brand or are the original Subaru ones the best way to go? Do I need to change the fuel pump and/or injectors?
Down the road I might decide to go for more power, but for now I'd be very happy with 300awhp.