LegacyGT.com

No heat on passenger side, Auto AC-Repaired

Hopefully this helps someone else.

I picked up a clean XT a couple months ago that was run out of oil and was knocking bad. It had a bunch of work done by the PO and he just wanted to stop the bleeding. I found an unmolested engine at Pick-N-Pull, pan was spotless and leakdown of 4% on all cylinders. So far it runs great but now that it's running there is no heat on the passenger side. I found the actuator not working and replaced it. Now with a functional actuator still no heat. I pulled the dash and now that I could look down into the HVAC box I could see the blend door intact. Reading that some have found a plugged heater core I hooked up a 5/8 heater hose to the garden hose and flushed both directions for quite some time but found just a slight improvement. I finally decided to pull the heater core and verify. Sure enough, running hot water into the core only the driver side of the core got warm, the passenger side cold. I cut it apart and sure enough plugged solid with a jelly like substance. Possible mixed coolant types or stop leak?

Dash out.jpg

Plugged Heater Core.jpg

• Like 1

Yikes!

I too have heat to only the drivers side of my OBW, and this is not encouraging. Hah! I've done the rad flush, also with little success, and the next thing i had planned was to set up a pump and some sort of caustic to circulate through the heater core in hope of clearing it up a little. That does not look encouraging tho.....

Would you guess it is a consistancy that any amount of chemical/ flushing action will have an effect? I really don't think it is worth my time to pull the dash on an 18 year old NA Subaru to fix the problem properly.....

8 hours ago, KZJonny said:

Yikes!

I too have heat to only the drivers side of my OBW, and this is not encouraging. Hah! I've done the rad flush, also with little success, and the next thing i had planned was to set up a pump and some sort of caustic to circulate through the heater core in hope of clearing it up a little. That does not look encouraging tho.....

Would you guess it is a consistancy that any amount of chemical/ flushing action will have an effect? I really don't think it is worth my time to pull the dash on an 18 year old NA Subaru to fix the problem properly.....

I'm not sure, but a buddy that works at a Dodge store said they made a setup with a bilge pump and they circulate concrete cleaner in a bucket or tote. He said you need to neutralize it so it must be caustic.

14 hours ago, Subienewbe said:

I'm not sure, but a buddy that works at a Dodge store said they made a setup with a bilge pump and they circulate concrete cleaner in a bucket or tote. He said you need to neutralize it so it must be caustic.

mmh. I need to look into it. If there is a way to break down this green crap without removing the heater core, I am all for it!

Edited by xt2005bonbon