LegacyGT.com

Diagnostic scan tool.. Are they worth the cost?

Reaching the point where a good scan tool would take me to the next level..  They are very expensive.  I was just curious if there was any type of "hack" in the area?   I figured by this point a creative solution via laptop was out there somewhere?

I still have my 32-bit WinXP laptop and VAGCOM cable from when I turbocharged and tuned my turbo gc-rs.  I haven't attempted to plug it in to the 3.6 yet.  I'm sure at the very least OBD scanning would be possible but things like setting the brake maintenance mode to replace rear pads would not be supported with any of the software on it currently.

I want SSM4 and a denso interface box so bad.

I appreciate the quick response..  The rear pads are easy enough to rewind with a caliper tool....  I can't even wrap my head around being able to do it with the push of a button..   My first project would be the CVT drain and fill and use the diagnostic tool for the CVT re-Learn...   And to get the proper temps, etc...  I've got CVT on the brain, lol.    Brain fart, but there is a 6spd manual of the legacy sold in Canada...   Frankenstein 3.6 with a manual transmission and supercharger?  Right?

You press the button and then they compress like normal, no twisty just squeeze. 

The only information needed via scantool for a drain and fill is CVT temperature, a relearn is not necessary.

What's the shifter assembly look like in the canadian models? The CVT hugely mutes the 3.6 in this generation.  I took a buddy for a ride and he said, "how in the fuck is it faster 30-60 than it is 0-30?"

• Like 1

Hey that doesn't look too bad! I'd miss my two cup holders though! Oh wait! Are they behind the shifter hidden by the center console lid?

6 minutes ago, Beamercub said:

Hmmm, got me thinking of other ways to get the temperature?  Infrared?  

A $10-20 bluetooth ELM dongle and an OBD app (torque for android idon't know apple stuff) would display the necessary info.  I know some techs just use a laser temp scanner on the bottom of the pan but I'd rather have the car tell me what the sensor temp is.

Edited by silverton