LegacyGT.com

LED for rear marker lights on trunk lid?

So I upgraded my brake lights to VLEDS triton V6 7443 bulbs (really nice!) - now, since the lights on the trunk lid are using clear 7443 bulbs they look kinda orange by comparison, does anyone have a recommendation for an LED that would look similar to the normal output of the triton v6 bulbs (vleds says 25 lumens) - maybe the Sylvania Zevo red LEDs?  I don't want to get something that's brighter (and didn't want to spend another $100 on them...)

that's fair - just don't want to spend more than I need to!  As an added bonus, I thought the triton v6 wouldn't require a load resistor (since they don't indicate it needs one) but apparently it does - after 5-10 minutes of driving, I get the VDC light coming on, along with the flashing brake light.  Restart and it goes away, but comes back after a similar amount of driving.  ugh.  going to order their vrl6 resistors which should solve the problem, I suppose.

Are you talking about the license plate bulbs?

I am using Osram LEDs there and very satisfied.

Cant say how they compare to your LED tails but I have the opposite problem of mildly wanting to mod them to match the plate lights lol!

no - the red lights that are on the trunk adjacent to the combination lights (they are just lit as markers - some folks have done modifications to make them into brake lights as well) - what I am likely going to do is try a few different red LEDs and see if I can get one close to the VLEDs in the combination lights (I already had LEDs for the turn signal and reverse lights in the combination light) - I have some generics off amazon for the license plate bulbs (and the other locations that use a 194 bulb around the car)

I pulled the vleds for now until the resistors come in (probably this weekend) as the warning lights are annoying!

Edited by DrD123

On 12/5/2023 at 7:07 AM, Scubaboo said:

Oh.  Those are rear fogs in most markets I think, only the driver's side lights up at 21w when the rear foglight switch is on.

They are just running lights that are on when the headlights are on for USDM. USDM models don't have a rear foglight of any sort. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2023 at 10:29 PM, DrD123 said:

So I upgraded my brake lights to VLEDS triton V6 7443 bulbs (really nice!) - now, since the lights on the trunk lid are using clear 7443 bulbs they look kinda orange by comparison, does anyone have a recommendation for an LED that would look similar to the normal output of the triton v6 bulbs (vleds says 25 lumens) - maybe the Sylvania Zevo red LEDs?  I don't want to get something that's brighter (and didn't want to spend another $100 on them...)

Did you intentionally get the clear VLEDS V6 instead of the red version? I have the V3 red Tritons in my brakelights and the color is a really nice, rich, deep red rather than orange. 

Either way, your best bet to match the color is to stick with a VLEDs product. They have a cheaper, non-triton 7440 bulbs you can use (you don't need the dual brightness of the 7443 for the trunk bulbs). If you got the clear bulbs for your brakelights, just get the clear ones of these too. I have the red versions of these in my trunk lights. I believe you can still use the SUBARU10 coupon code for 10% off the order too, or wait till a sale.

Clear: 50 LED WHITE 7440 (vleds.com)

Red: 50 LED RED 7443 7443CK 7440 (vleds.com)

• Thanks 1

No - I got the red ones (for the triton v6) - the 7443 halogen bulbs I was using are clear - I think just putting a red LED of some sort (or a red halogen) will get the color to look more similar.

The resistors just arrived today - do you recall where you mounted yours?  I got a 12" extension just in case I couldn't find something close to the tail light.

Well - went with the Zevo lights for the sidemarkers - they look great.  I put the resistors sort of under where the tail light is (there's a flat spot there - worked really well)

Unfortunately, on the way into work this morning, someone opted to try and make a u-turn from the right lane, across the left lane where I was - impact was the front right corner on my car, and the front left wheel on the other car (lifted Jeep with giant wheels) - missed the frame rail, so I am hopeful it's repairable (the headlight blew apart into an amazing number of pieces, though).  No injuries, so that's what matters - not a fun thing to have happen on the way into work.  Sucks.

Edited by DrD123
  • Sad 4