LegacyGT.com

Can't put caliper sliding pin in

Hello, I have been doing the brakes on my 98 Subaru legacy and after putting the pads on and trying to put the sliding pins in, they just won't fit in the bracket. I cleaned them and greased them with the moly grease that came with the pads but they just won't fit. They go in like a mm so the bottom of the pin is flush with the bracket carrier hole, but won't go any farther. I have tried the following: hammering the pin down, disconnecting the bracket from the caliper and just trying to put the pin through it, cleaning the pin again and regreasing it, taking 1000 grit sandpaper and trying to remove any buildup. I am honestly very confused on what to do, as it seems like the pins just don't fit anymore even though they were just in the bracket! Anyone with advice please let me know, someone on Reddit told me that I should use a drill bit to widen the carrier hole but I'm worried that it will mess up the function of the pin. (I know there is supposed to be a rubber piece at the end of the pin, I just took it off to try and shove into the bracket)bgubl8.jpg.05c9d3c010e8af963210036f30b1cb46.jpg

• 1 month later...

The pin won’t go back into the hole more than a mm?  What’s the hole look like? Did you remove the boot?  If the pin isn’t going in, the problem is likely the hole is full gunk or rust.  

Can you take a pic of the hole you’re trying to put the pin in?