LegacyGT.com

Burning Oil Smell

2015 Legacy, 130k miles

A few days ago I noticed shortly after driving that the vehicle begins to faintly smell of burnt oil.  I checked my garage floor but saw no signs of dripping/pooling oil.  I also checked the oil's level and everything looked to be OK.  A buddy of mine said it's likely the oil pan gasket failing.  

How likely is the problem a bad/failing oil pan gasket?  If not likely, what else can it likely be?
As the vehicle will be taken to a shop, roughly how much should I expect to pay to have this problem repaired? 

I can't say where your smell is coming from but it's not likely the oil pan gasket.  That would just leak to the ground without burning.

I know that I had an oil smell and it turned out to be the front crank seal -- the oil would leak and drip onto the exhaust area.  It was repaired under warranty and I don't remember the hours of labor.

Edited by waldguy

Question for you:  Where are you noticing the burnt oil smell?   In the vehicle or outside the vehicle and if outside the vehicle, is the vehicle running while you are smelling the burnt oil?  Exhaust smell?  I am currently having an issue with my lower oil pan, it is a small leak that i do notice on the ground.  I'm not sure where on the lower oil pan it is leaking, I do know it is from corrosion.  This is the 3rd oil leak that I have had.  Both times prior it was leaking from the crank seal/ cvt housing.  It was repaired both times under warranty.  As for the lower oil pan, I have purchased the lower oil pan, just gotta actually get under there and replace it..   I'm not sure if the "gasket" could be an issue, because there is no gasket on the lower oil pan, it's a grey apoxy called  "Threebond 1217H".   Not just ordinary RTV.

Easy solution.

Just put some cardboard under the car overnight. If you have a drop from the oil pan gasket it will show up on the cardboard.

If that does not produce results its more then likely wherever you get your oil changed spilled some in the engine bay/block and it's burning off.

I did this myself on one of my cars and even earning it well I still had the smell for a week.

• Like 1