LegacyGT.com

Best place to get a Type RA Short Block?

Hello All,

After months or procrastinating, my son and I finally decided to get a Type RA block to replace my sons blown EJ255.  We will be using his existing heads (to be redone by Headgames headworks), replacing the blown turbo with an FP Blue and having a tuner adjust for the added compression.

After getting some real high prices at local dealers we decided  look at online source.  My question is who in your opinion is the best place to get it from.. Are there any online places that sell a package with gaskets/hoses etc?

All input is appreciated.

Thanks

People used to go to Heubergers a lot or Fred Beans, but I'm just passing this along from having read that a whole bunch. (I'm north of the border so don't get to take advantage of US dealership pricing so much...) Definitely worth writing any or all of the suppliers in the vendors section. Not too much activity of their accounts for the most part, but if you give them a call and say you found them via the forum, they may help you out. I know even my local Subaru dealer does an automatic 15% off all parts purchases (which is roughly equal to sales tax in my neck of the woods) because I am nursing along an old '05, and they see more old Subarus on the road as good advertising. They also know I'm not in the market for a new car and taking a little off the parts costs doesn't really hurt their bottom line, or word of mouth reputation.

There has also been some chatter about some places not shipping short blocks to residential any longer because of the frequency of damage in shipping and the resultant costs.

It would be great if you'd share your findings tho. I'm sure many here would appreciate an update on what the costs at various dealers look like as well as the online pricing, and who is still willing to ship a new SB.

Just saying.... a smashed type RA Rex that doesn't have engine bay damage is also a candidate, if you can find one.

I've seen complete engines up for not a LOT more than the last cost I heard for a SB, and if you're willing to take the time to sell off the heads and accessories etc... you might even come out ahead a little.

Just a thought.

Been looking for a wrecked one but the only ones popping up within driving distance are some other LGTs with 140K plus miles.  I almost bought one but decided not to as the turbo/motor let go on our car at only 108K.  I also went down the JDM rabbit hole and finally decided to stay screw it and get a new block.. 

Totally fair. If it comes to it for me, I am on the fence. I don't think I'm making enough power to justify a built block, and new SB's are not cheap either.

If I had the cash, I'd do what youre doing, but at the same time, I've got block in my garage that came out of a running car with compression. So, I would also be very tempted to just tear that one down, give it a dingleball hone to break the glaze and just score in some new crosshatching + some new pistons/rings.... See how much life it might have. Honestly, I'd bet quite a lot, having read some of the engine rebuild stories here over the years.

Good luck with whatever you come up with. Also worth noting that most places do not have a block + gasket kit, just because there are quite a few different configurations of intakes and gasket types etc... It's usually the block you want + the appropriate gasket kit + the handful of gasket that the kit does not have for whatever reason....

+ oil cooler

+OCVs

+ etc...