LegacyGT.com

what is up is with the driver's seat issue?

dosta

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40k???!!!!! how long have you had your car...and with the seat issue I dont like how the manual seats, dont go as low as the power seats....but im a small guy so i guess its okay...and with just about 20k on my car still havent found that sweet spot for the seat...

40k???!!!!! how long have you had your car...and with the seat issue I dont like how the manual seats, dont go as low as the power seats....but im a small guy so i guess its okay...and with just about 20k on my car still havent found that sweet spot for the seat...

bought in end of july of 2004.. drove and competed in this car over 25 autox events all across the east coast (from NY down to FL).. been on the track as well about 5 times [with this car at least] (about 10 days worth?) so that's an easy 1000 miles on the track alone.. my daily commute to work is about 40 to 50 miles (depends if I take the "fun" way to work or not)... I drive more on the weekends than I do during the whole week.

For racing/autocrossing, I sit up as far as the seat will go (powered) and as low as possible with the steering wheel tilted as high as possible.. Im 5'7" and my inseam is only a 30", so it's fine with me.. with all those g-forces, all I do is just use the dead pedal to support me.

On the track my driving position is a little bit different, but I still use the dead pedal a little bit to brace me around the turns (I dont shift while I am in a turn, only when I am coming out of one and by then the g-forces are only pushing you back into the side, not lateral).

Keefe

• 2 weeks later...
. I use the cruise when at all possible so that helps fatigue from driving.

Same here - works wonders on all the cars - and helps with gas mileage.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I'm 5' 11" 215lbs It took me awhile to get the seat just right. I traded in a '04 WRX Wagon for my LGT LDT wagon w/ manual. I really got to like the way the WRX seats would hold you. But now I love my LGT.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I'm 5'6" and I find my manual seats uncomfy at times. Other times they're ok. It's weird.

I do wiggle around in my seat for the first 5-10 minutes of driving just to get that "comfy position" down...

I dunno - bad design? My last seats on my previous car, a TT, were marvelous. They were manual too (but leather).

It's not a killer deal for me, but if I had known I would've definitely tested the leather option to see if they were more comfy.

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

+1 with the leather. I just get into mine now and the seat fits me like a glove...albeit a rather large glove :redface: ...but a glove nonetheless. I hadn't driven mine since 12/24 and when I got back into it yesterday after driving my wife's Forester, I was amazed at how comfortable the whole driving experience is, especially the seats.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I love the seats in mine. I have done 1,100-mile driving days ging to AZ, and they were comfortable.

When first got the car, I thought the leather looked kinda cheesy, although it seemed durable. As the miles have piled up (25K now over 15 mos), the drivers seat has developed a nice "patina" as it has aged with wear, and IMHO it looks better now than when it was new.

Ron

I'm 6' (long inseam) with the manual cloth seats. The problem is the front edge of the seat is closer to the floor than other cars. That causes my feet and legs to be higher and most of my legs to be unsupported for the majority of seat. Seat bottom seems to be too horizontal.

Using the height adjustment to compensate for the problem causes me to feel like I'm looking through the top of the window (blue tint line). Having the ability to tilt the entire seat back would raise the front edge to meet my legs, but I'm out of luck with the manual seats. Maybe the power leather seats do this -- it would be nice! I like the firmness and side bolstering though. They also look like they will be durable.

Last car's cloth (99' VW Passat) seats left more to be desired (not sporty) but the bottom was tilted back better and didn't have this problem and still allowed for a lower driving position.

I'm 6' (long inseam) with the manual cloth seats. The problem is the front edge of the seat is closer to the floor than other cars. That causes my feet and legs to be higher and most of my legs to be unsupported for the majority of seat. Seat bottom seems to be too horizontal.

Using the height adjustment to compensate for the problem causes me to feel like I'm looking through the top of the window (blue tint line). Having the ability to tilt the entire seat back would raise the front edge to meet my legs, but I'm out of luck with the manual seats. Maybe the power leather seats do this -- it would be nice! I like the firmness and side bolstering though. They also look like they will be durable.

Last car's cloth (99' VW Passat) seats left more to be desired (not sporty) but the bottom was tilted back better and didn't have this problem and still allowed for a lower driving position.

Exactly the problem I had!

Check out this thread

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18323&highlight=seat

I find the seats to be adequate but definitely not anything I'd rave about. Lack of lateral support, too short on the thigh support and they give me a back ache on longer trips.

It does get better as you pile on the miles, after my first 2 hour drive I almost cried that my new car had such poor seats. But now I've seen a dramatic improvement in only 5k miles of time. I can't wait for a 15k miles, they might actually be comfortable then......now if only that steering wheel would telescope and someone would give me another 1/2" of headroom it'd be perfect.

I'm 6'4", and my much shorter girlfriend says they're great seats.

I can see the issue with the non-Ltd seats. On my Ltd, I have the front edge of the seat all the way up, and I feel it then gives adequate support. The lower seat cushion is naturally too short, as it is on every car since my '83 GT 5.0 that had the Recaro-type seats with the adjustable bolster to lengthen the seat bottom.

I trust that folks are using their lumbar supports. I have a bit of a sway in my lower back and need lower-back lumbar support. The seats were fine for four 1,100-mile days. FWIW, I'm 6', but with short legs (33'), long torso, and long arms (37" sleeve).

Ron

we just bought an 05 legacy gt wagon, and the manual adjust cloth seats DEFINATELY do not have enough thigh support. is swapping these out an option? possibly wrx seats? our 02 outback had electric seats that tilted and were much more comfortable. did subaru make electric/cloth seats?

Nope.

I'm not a leather-seat fan. I would have loved power cloth seats with a moonroof, but that was not a possible option.

I wanted the Limited mainly for the moonroof (I ordered the car), but the power seats have turned out to be a big side benefit.

Ron

Ahh, to be cradled......that's really what i'm looking for, as our 02 outback did

just that.

Well, here's to hoping these suckers will break in a bit (only had the car for about 40 hours or so....). In the mean time, we'll enjoy the car's other points, namely the TURBO!(this is our first)

Martin+Jenny Nawoj

Originally Posted by nawoj

think it would be possible to install the limited seats in my gt? i can deal with leather, but not with a lack of support.

Maybe

I sat in an 05 Accord Coupe today - I owuld say that while the interior materials are equal to or slightly below the Outback, the seat is much better. Same thing as with the Volvo, the entire seat tilted, allowing you to get into a pretty comfortable driving position, while being nicely cradled in the seat.

I would suspect that all of the wiring and connectors would be present in a non-Ltd car, so a set of Ltd seats could be installed pretty easily. It's been this way with other mfrs, as it's easier to just have one passenger compartment wiring loom.

The "entire seat tilting" has been SOP for all American cars with power seats for years.Our first import with power seats was a '93 626, and found it weird that the seat bottom moved independently. Not a big issue, it just takes the extra step of reclining the seatback (although I first recline the seatback before I raise the front edge of the seat bottom!).

It would be nice if the LGT seats were a bit wider (I read somewhere that Subaru, among others, will be making their seats bigger, since Americans are getting bigger), but they are fine for me as long as I don't add more weight!!

Ron

Archived