LegacyGT.com

Long tube headers-do they make a difference on a stage ll tune?

On 9/27/2023 at 9:36 AM, garygbnj said:

I have a Borla exhaust.  If headers make a difference  (how much hp or torque) then what brand-Borla, AEM or?  Will I need a new tune?  Thanks

Depends.

The short answer is yes.  But you would get max power with a full exhaust system with test pipes. You would make slightly less power with high flow cats but if you have state emissions the high flow is better to go with.  To your question yes I would get a better tune since the power band would be changing. I would also get Bunghole extenders to get the 02 sensor out of the downstream so it does not throw a code.

When I went to long tube headers in conjunction with my Stillen exhaust set up on my G37 I believe the power gain was about 30 HP at the flywheel.  A test pipe setup from what my tuner told me would have gained an additional 15 or so HP.   In the end I sent my car to Stillen and just had them do the Supercharger Conversion kit and am not running a shy over 450 HP and 440 Torque.  Fun car but my RCF with the five liter is way funnier with the NA five liter with 470 HP.  A true sleeper.

I am assuming you have a GT?  

Edited by MoleMan

Where are you located?  If the NJ in account name is for New Jersey, there are a few that get tossed around regularly here (AZP installs I think) - there are also a number of folks that have done etunes with decent success.  I'm sort of curious how much can be done with headers since they are so short before hitting the turbo on the 5th gen (vs. the 4th where the turbo was further away)