LegacyGT.com

It's time for new struts at 204k, which ones?

Hey, it's me. 

After driving my 2007 spec.B for 124k miles and for 10 years (in a couple days), it's time to replace the struts. 

I replaced the springs with STi Pinks 2 Thanksgivings ago, and I should've replaced the struts, but, dental school is very expensive. 

I want to go with Bilstein HD to preserve the spec.B heritage.  

Does somebody have a part #?

And can somebody else try to talk me out of it? 

Thanks! 

From my understanding, the "B8" is what you want to use with aftermarket springs. "B6" is OEM equivalent. I'm sure a bit of searching around will get you what the actual difference between those is. 

B8 P/Ns:

FR -  35-118343
FL - 35-118336
R - 24-118354

B6 P/Ns: 

FR - 35-118312
FL - 35-118305
R - 24-118323

• Like 1

Ugh... I can't remember the name right now, but one of the east coast engine builders also sells sets of B8 struts for a good price. If it clicks and I remembers, I'll post it up. I want to say they were ~$200 USD/corner.

Meant to bookmark it, because I'll probably be going that route when mine get tired, but I'd also consider the B6's as well. (What I have on now, and perfectly fine for the crap roads where I live. Going low in not an option around here...)

9 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Ugh... I can't remember the name right now, but one of the east coast engine builders also sells sets of B8 struts for a good price. If it clicks and I remembers, I'll post it up. I want to say they were ~$200 USD/corner.

Meant to bookmark it, because I'll probably be going that route when mine get tired, but I'd also consider the B6's as well. (What I have on now, and perfectly fine for the crap roads where I live. Going low in not an option around here...)

Fastwrx/MachV Motorsports?

Edited by tehspud
  • Like 1

Turns out I was thinking of Rallispec. They have the STi pink springs, but not the struts on the website, my bad. Either that changed, or I was remembering incorrectly.

So ignore the above. Either way, they shouldn't be that hard to track down, and for the money, you can still get them for a song from some JDM importers. Guess that's a bit of a roll of the dice, but I want to say I got my set for $400 CAD? so... $300 USD these days, and that was struts and springs.

For a 19 year old car, that was good enough for me for now.... vs $800 USD just for struts. YMMV.

• Like 1

Thanks for the discussion. I'll look into the B8 stuff. I've def. read numerous article, but just trying to get to the point. I found a really good write-up on this site about the Pinks with HDs and a 20mm sway bar. 

It's been my daily driver since I bought it, but that is going to change after graduation next year. I live in/around the WNC mtns, so I want it to stick to the road in the curves for those Parkway cruises. 

2 hours ago, KZJonny said:

What makes you conflicted between the B6 and B8?

40 minutes ago, Charlie Tango said:

What makes you conflicted between the B6 and B8?

B8's are really meant for aftermarket (lowered, even if slightly) springs. B6 are for standard ride height.

While I did sort of 'build' my car for twisty road driving, it's also something I put a lot of kms on in the summer, and take road trips on. So for me, coilovers were out, and I stayed with struts, clearly.

I tried out STi pinks for a while on B6s and didn't love the lack of ground clearance, nor the harsher ride I got on those springs. I then swapped to some low mile JDM takeoffs, B6s w/stock Spec B wagon springs and loved the ride. GIven the condition of roads aroundhere, and the sidewalk entry/exit sloped I have to navigate as well at the ramp into my garage, even the 15-20mm drop meant my trailer hitch was hitting all kinds of stuff. Not so much with the stock ride height.

All that said, I've got front and rear Cusco sway bars, as well as all aluminium control arms and trailing arms, RSB supports, whiteline adjustable kit etc.... So the whole suspension is no longer stock by any means.

I'm not convinced that lowering the car is needed to get handling that is aggressive as I need. I currently have a set of Continental DW 06s on, and I think for spiritied/aggressive street driving I would have a very hard time breaking them loose. So.... not sure if I need to spend up to get B8s and more money for aftermarket springs, given my use case.

• Like 1

I don't think you'll *really* be able to find OE Bilstiens except for dealership perhaps, and that will be silly expensive.

B6s are essentially equivalent, tho not quite from my understanding. Maybe a little more aggressively valved? I really do not know. But they are available at Rock Auto for a fairly reasonable price, which is kind of nice.

If going to a lowered setup, then yeah... B8s for sure. Still far more comfortable and plush w/good handling character than any set of coilovers in the same price range.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2023 at 3:31 PM, KZJonny said:

I don't think you'll *really* be able to find OE Bilstiens except for dealership perhaps, and that will be silly expensive.

B6s are essentially equivalent, tho not quite from my understanding. Maybe a little more aggressively valved? I really do not know. But they are available at Rock Auto for a fairly reasonable price, which is kind of nice.

If going to a lowered setup, then yeah... B8s for sure. Still far more comfortable and plush w/good handling character than any set of coilovers in the same price range.

Where is the best place to purchase B8s?

Tire Rack - https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Bilstein&model=B8+Performance+Plus+Strut&group=B8+HD+Shock&partNum=35-118336&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+Wagon+2.5+GT&autoYear=2005&autoModClar=Limited

Mach V Motorsports. I'd email them first to make sure, but I'm pretty sure the set they sell are B8s - https://www.fastwrx.com/collections/shocks-struts/products/bilstein-struts-2005-2009-legacy-gt

Summit Racing, suprisingly. Though looks like the rears are "special order" so that could take a while - https://www.summitracing.com/search/year/2005/make/subaru/model/legacy/department/chassis-suspension/brand/bilstein/part-type/shocks-and-struts?fr=part-type

You can also grab the part numbers off Tire Rack and search around, see if there's more. Seems like these are getting harder and harder to find. Remember you do also need to get the Spec-B Top Hats for the fronts. 

• Like 2

On 10/11/2023 at 10:07 AM, tehspud said:

Tire Rack - https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/suspension.jsp?make=Bilstein&model=B8+Performance+Plus+Strut&group=B8+HD+Shock&partNum=35-118336&autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Legacy+Wagon+2.5+GT&autoYear=2005&autoModClar=Limited

Mach V Motorsports. I'd email them first to make sure, but I'm pretty sure the set they sell are B8s - https://www.fastwrx.com/collections/shocks-struts/products/bilstein-struts-2005-2009-legacy-gt

Summit Racing, suprisingly. Though looks like the rears are "special order" so that could take a while - https://www.summitracing.com/search/year/2005/make/subaru/model/legacy/department/chassis-suspension/brand/bilstein/part-type/shocks-and-struts?fr=part-type

You can also grab the part numbers off Tire Rack and search around, see if there's more. Seems like these are getting harder and harder to find. Remember you do also need to get the Spec-B Top Hats for the fronts. 

Thank you both so much! This is awesome and I think I will be going with the B8s to better pair with my STi Pinks

• Like 1