LegacyGT.com

Different union(banjo) bolts?

I was inspecting my newly bought 05 gt wagon and I heard a lot about the banjo bolt and how the filter gathers debris and eventually starves the turbo of oil. Looking at mine I saw it was different from what i've been seeing online, mine didn't have a filter but had 1 small hole instead of two. I figured the previous mechanic put in the wrong bolt so I ordered one from Subaru and I got the same bolt again! My question is should I keep using this small union bolt? or try to find the older one that was original ( i think) one and remove the filter? My worry is that the newer one is too small and might restrict oil flow. 

newer bolt: https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru__/Turbocharger-Oil-Line-Bolt-Screw-Union-83/49227600/15194AA001.html

older bolt: https://parts.subaru.com/p/Union-Screw-and-Filter/49226885/14445AA090.html?clickSource=relatedProduct

with the older bolt, I know there's another union bolt somewhere in the engine and I might've linked that one but that's what the bolt looks like, from what I've seen online. I can provide more clarification if something didn't make sense, thank you!

In short, that is the correct banjo bolt. The orifice is calibrated to allow the right amount of oil into the turbo journal bearing and not over pressurize the seals and push oil into the intake. (Check the condition of the turbo drain hose returning to the block, they tend to degrade with heat and time…. The one on my ‘05 was plenty hard when I swapped the turbo.)

The banjo with a filter you are looking for is on the other end of the same feed hardline, coming from the block. That one will have large holes for oil passage and maybe a filter. Same as the banjos feeding the OCV’s.

The last place there may be a filter is on the drivers side front of the block, behind the timing belt cover. It’s super not-fun to remove, but *can* be done with the covers in place. Ask me how I know…. Member Hammerdown did a great write up on how it can be replaced without removing the covers. Worth it? I dunno, but I went ahead and did it anyway. 15k kms with no banjo filters for me and all is good…. YMMV.

Edited by KZJonny
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

In short, that is the correct banjo bolt. The orifice is calibrated to allow the right amount of oil into the turbo journal bearing and not over pressurize the seals and push oil into the intake. (Check the condition of the turbo drain hose returning to the block, they tend to degrade with heat and time…. The one on my ‘05 was plenty hard when I swapped the turbo.)

The banjo with a filter you are looking for is on the other end of the same feed hardline, coming from the block. That one will have large holes for oil passage and maybe a filter. Same as the banjos feeding the OCV’s.

The last place there may be a filter is on the drivers side front of the block, behind the timing belt cover. It’s super not-fun to remove, but *can* be done with the covers in place. Ask me how I know…. Member Hammerdown did a great write up on how it can be replaced without removing the covers. Worth it? I dunno, but I went ahead and did it anyway. 15k kms with no banjo filters for me and all is good…. YMMV.

Thanks for the quick reply and glad to see you're still on the forum! And okay that makes total sense, I thought the turbo only had one union bolt to it, should've looked at the manual a little longer. I'll be checking out out the other union bolt tomorrow and removing the screen if it's there. 

Dude…. Apparently I am one of the LGT tragics on here. I’m hanging on to my wagons until they stop selling gasoline to fuel them. Hah!

Glad to see you’re still working on the old girl. Keep the updates coming, and the gang here will chip in.

Before you put all those banjos back in, take a moment and google how to re-anneal the copper washers that seal them. It’s *generally* fine to reuse them, but for the couple minutes it takes to heat them up to a red glow on you stovetop or with a torch, you are going some way to getting a good seal upon reinstall, without having to run to the parts store for new ones.

• Like 1

lol nothing wrong with that noobs like me appreciate it, I'm trying to hold on to mine for as long as I can too. Who knows maybe a few years from now we'll be talking about how to do electric swaps! Thanks for advice I'll give it a go and post an update this weekend!

• Like 1