LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket Spec B JDM control arms - increase caster?

Nah, direct swap to Spec B or Mevotech for the front.

Rear (trailing arms) require adaptors to mate to USDM style sway bars.

You’d probably want to get an alignment anyway, as there is no chance the old bushing and new bushings will put your wheels in exactly the same place, but that’s par for the course.

There use to be a lot of noise about the quality of the installed ball joints with the Mevotech arms, but that seems to have eased off. I’ve got 2+ summers on mine now, and no problems yet…

8 hours ago, seanyb505 said:

If you want to play with caster, there are bushings you can swap into the new arms. Since you haven't installed them yet now would be the time to do that as they have to be pressed in. 

I don't really need to add caster, just fixing blown out bushings. I can easily get the double offset and ALK bushings though.

Was just wondering if there were any more advantages to the Mevotech units to justify an additional $250 shipping costs to me.

I got the super pro arms on sale for same cost as parts separately on sale so this is a nice solution.

I have a few things to fix so saving a trip to get bushings pressed is appealing.

Looking at the old bushings this should be a huge improvement. 

• 2 months later...

It’s probably time for new FCA rear bushings, and who knows what else.  One (trusted Subaru-specific) shop suggests steel Moog, another (trusted, but non-specific to Subaru) the steel but with SuperPro bushings….currently on sale.  I DO NOT WANT MORE NVH!!!  That said, maybe I already have the NVH, as I have 20204AG011 WRX bushings instead of 20204ag01b Outback bushings in stock OBXT FCA’s.  this is on an Outback XT sitting at about stock spec-B height or maybe a smidge higher, with the Bilstein B6 spec-B upgrade struts, and the BTS5056 JDM springs.  I don’t want to go back to noodle bushings either.  So wondering if a preloaded LGT FCA or the Mevotech would be the happy medium.

So, similar to original question, are all FCA’s the same geometry ( Mevotech, stock LGT, and stock Outback)?  

On 11/16/2023 at 6:14 AM, Impatient said:

It’s probably time for new FCA rear bushings, and who knows what else.  One (trusted Subaru-specific) shop suggests steel Moog, another (trusted, but non-specific to Subaru) the steel but with SuperPro bushings….currently on sale.  I DO NOT WANT MORE NVH!!!  That said, maybe I already have the NVH, as I have 20204AG011 WRX bushings instead of 20204ag01b Outback bushings in stock OBXT FCA’s.  this is on an Outback XT sitting at about stock spec-B height or maybe a smidge higher, with the Bilstein B6 spec-B upgrade struts, and the BTS5056 JDM springs.  I don’t want to go back to noodle bushings either.  So wondering if a preloaded LGT FCA or the Mevotech would be the happy medium.

So, similar to original question, are all FCA’s the same geometry ( Mevotech, stock LGT, and stock Outback)?  

I have not fit them yet but the Superpro steel LCA's look nice. All apear to be quality parts.

On 11/15/2023 at 3:14 PM, Impatient said:

All the same geometry. I suspect the Superpro stuff will have a little more NVH than even the WRX stuff you have on now, just because it's poly and not high durometer rubber.

For the money, I've been happy with the Mevotech aluminium arms, and I haven't had a problems with the ball joints. Perhaps they've improved them over time, as a long time ago they had a reputation for being poor. In my market, it would still have been cheaper to get the Mevotech parts and put in a good set of 555 balljoints than to source used Spec B arms....

8 hours ago, KZJonny said:

All the same geometry. I suspect the Superpro stuff will have a little more NVH than even the WRX stuff you have on now, just because it's poly and not high durometer rubber.

For the money, I've been happy with the Mevotech aluminium arms, and I haven't had a problems with the ball joints. Perhaps they've improved them over time, as a long time ago they had a reputation for being poor. In my market, it would still have been cheaper to get the Mevotech parts and put in a good set of 555 balljoints than to source used Spec B arms....

Mevotech has the solid hardened rubber like the WRX and old school (Group C?)?

I don't think the superpro has a huge increase in NVH over solid hardened rubber but some people report a difference. It is still flexible and you can indent with your thumb nail.

Later years went solid rubber with spherical bushings so possibly not a high impact area NVH.

I don't think he will notice a difference. 

Whiteline has a similar offering, though SuperPro “sale price” is better than Whiteline’s “sale price.”  Whiteline wa456L (and wa456R).

which of the three (seven) would you choose?

1 Mevotech CMS8028x

2) Whiteline WA456x

3) SuperPro trc1058 (pair)

4) loaded OEM (Subaru) with the noodle bushings

5) OEM or Moog, but press out the rear noodles, and replace with 20204AG011

6) Moog RK622030 and -31

7) Beck Arnley (a Moog company???) alum 18775-05550579  picture looks like Mevotech, but rear bushing more like OEM (w/voids) ???

that’s enough options, not sure if any are perfect

3 hours ago, Impatient said:

Whiteline has a similar offering, though SuperPro “sale price” is better than Whiteline’s “sale price.”  Whiteline wa456L (and wa456R).

which of the three (seven) would you choose?

1 Mevotech CMS8028x

2) Whiteline WA456x

3) SuperPro trc1058 (pair)

4) loaded OEM (Subaru) with the noodle bushings

5) OEM or Moog, but press out the rear noodles, and replace with 20204AG011

6) Moog RK622030 and -31

7) Beck Arnley (a Moog company???) alum 18775-05550579  picture looks like Mevotech, but rear bushing more like OEM (w/voids) ???

that’s enough options, not sure if any are perfect

Mevotech or Superpro (on sale). Pick your favourite.

My superpro rear bushings are not solid like I think the Nolathane are. More like a multipiece pillow ball with the inner part forming a sliding joint similar to a pillow ball. It's hard to explain but it isnt a solid piece of neoprene. There is two parts and some play designed in.

Superpro and Whiteline/Nolathane are both Australian and we consider them interchangeable. They are direct competitors, with one being a copy of the other (cannot remember which).

One was probably started by ex employees of the other out of spite.

Superpro is the most popular in home country.

Superpro warehouse is about 45 minutes from my house if that makes any difference. 

Whiteline started out in sway bars.

It's normal to go Superpro bushings and whiteline swaybars with king springs.