LegacyGT.com

Finally fixed, now let's talk coilovers!

So after chasing an electrical gremlin for months, I finally got my car back on the road. Previously I had tried to get my car tuned to go to the meet in PA, when they did the precheck, they found oil pouring out the oil pan during a boost leak test, and said my engine harness was a mess due to me hacking it up and rewiring for different injectors, fixes, etc. I didn't disagree lol. So I got a used harness and redid my oil pan seal. Figured the probable reason I was blowing out my oil pan seal was cause I was testing the system for boost leaks with way to much pressure.

After the fixes my car would just crank and crank and crank, but never start. So I walked away for months because I had the urge to put a brick through the windshield. So after I calmed down, I kept cranking and cranking until a code came up for the maf sensor input. I'm like huh, I never touched that, so after wiggling wires while it was running I found the car would just die when I wiggled the maf wire. Now the gears are turning in my head and I remember that moment over a decade ago, when I 1st installed an aftermarket up pipe and took it for a spin and the bolt in the egt bung shot out like shrapnel causing the exhaust to burn my maf line leaving me stranded on the road. So in the middle of the night on the side of the road, with some wrenches, a multi tool and electrical tape, I patched it up. Looks like that road side fix finally caught up to me, so I redid the maf line the right way, solder and shrink tubes. And here we are! 

I digress, the main thing is on my way to the tuner, about a 1 hour or so drive, I realized how garbage my coilovers are, I already knew but this drove it home. Originally I was planning to use them until I got the motor tuned properly and was proven to be healthy. After that I would get me some kw v2 coilovers. They cost like 2500, and I don't want to spend 2500 on a motor that may blow up. Putting the cart before the horse scenario. 

Then I thought to myself maybe there are more choices now that 4th gens are like 20 years old. So I went to flatirons website to check what they have, because imo flatirons does right by their customers and wouldn't put up garbage on their website to sell. I came across these 2 options they had for 4th gens.

Feal Suspension 441: Never heard of them but the internet seems to like them. They are made in the USA, monotube, rebuildable, and they cost around $1450 to start, you can have different springs with different rates (Swift) for an additional cost, and they are built to order.

https://www.flatironstuning.com/feal-suspension-441-1-way-coilovers-05-14-legacy-gt

The other option was the Tein Flex Z which costs $1220

https://www.flatironstuning.com/tein-flex-z-coilovers-subaru

Anyone have any experience with either of these coilovers? I would get a set because it's not to expensive and oh yea, flatirons, no tax (hopefully thats still true, haven't ordered anything from them in a while)! So that's also a factor. 

24 minutes ago, Code said:

I can talk you into spending the extra $1k in KW.  Let me know when you’re ready. 

I'm listening? lol! 

I would spend 1500 now, not 2500. But I really hate my current coilovers, I got them for 500 bucks because my 2nd set of koni's had exploded again, and I didnt want to do that stupid sleeve nonsense again, but at the same time, u sorta need struts to move the car so I needed something. 

Everyone already knows the KW's are top dog, but I don't mind betting on a underdog.

You know how you feel about your $500 cheapies?  You’ll never feel that about your KW, but you may feel that way about a $1500 compromise.  I’m a firm believer in Buy Once Cry Once.  

im not saying there is anything wrong with those other coils, I don’t know. I do know that the KW are THAT good. I had mine rebuilt once (RCE T1 setup) with a stiffer rear spring and they are fantastic in all conditions. Firm but never harsh and flat in the corners. 

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

I have ran many different sets of coilovers on my 4th gens. I ran a set of 600 dollar Teins and I loved the way they road. they were on my car for 4 year and i sold car and they still were in great shape. I am now running ISC Suspension coilovers on my 06 LGT. I love the ride and they price was great. I sell all types of coilovers and yes I can get KW and all the other crazy 3k ones. I would not put them on a old car. On a R35 or say R8 that I been looking at i would.

If you get a good set at about 1200-1400 and you just take the gap out and lower it a bit, the car will ride perfect. If you want to tuck rim or flush it will ride like crap. Make sure they have pillow ball mount, it makes the ride even better.

Good call on those used kw's I just asked if he was willing to ship to NY, we will see. Said I would pay for shipping as well. At that price thats a god damn no brainer, I would buy em off him right now. 

Anyone know what KW charges to rebuild a corner? 

24 minutes ago, Tehnation said:

Good call on those used kw's I just asked if he was willing to ship to NY, we will see. Said I would pay for shipping as well. At that price thats a god damn no brainer, I would buy em off him right now. 

For some reason I can't find the emails/paperwork, but I had a set rebuilt in 2016 or 2017 for my BRZ, and it ended up being around $160/corner + shipping to them. I'd guess now would be around $200/corner

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tehnation said:

Be nice if he would, I’d snag those whiteline arms off him.