LegacyGT.com

SSM3 and immobilizer programming

Long story short, I may need to reprogram/re-register my immobilizer soon due to failing LEDs in my gauge cluster. I had a thread on subaruoutback.org about it a while back, and I'd gone as far as buying a spare cluster, but I ended up ruining the stepper motors trying to disassemble it (why ruin the one that came with the car further, right?)

I'm in a bit of a dead-zone, where the nearest competent dealership with an SSM3 is most likely more than 4 hours away, and the OBXT will be my only running car, ruling leaving the car at a dealer out, so I'm debating buying a "totally-not-an-SSM3" (fill in the blanks) to try to register a new cluster.

What I'm worried about is, the device SHOULD be able to do that, but it mentioned key programming needs a code/account (presumably similar to what locksmiths have to register with to get key codes). Does this apply to the immo registration with an actual SSM3, or are they two totally separate processes?

Never used an SSM3.  Only an SSM2.  Hitachi made them for Subaru and the one I used was a Hitachi unit, not branded an SSM2.  IIrc the immobilizer and key needed to be "paired" so you needed a locksmith account. 

Maybe @silverton can answer more definitively.

• Thanks 1

Ah, gotcha. See, I’m hoping that whatever requires the locksmith account only applies to cutting/registering new keys and not necessarily to re-registering components to the BIU (i.e. the cluster), but that would make sense that it might. Everything I’ve been able to find so far has been a bit vague…even the FSM, and while I’m tech-savvy, I’ve never done EEPROM cloning/writing.

If only the dealership in my city wasn’t a complete dumpster fire (or there was a Subaru shop around me that had an SSM3), I wouldn’t have to worry as much.

Both that thread and the relevant immo thread over on the other forum are full of very useful info, but seem to be more geared toward using a new ECU, rather than a new cluster. I saw it mentioned a bit briefly, but didn’t really see a follow-up. I’m starting to get the vibe that my only options may be dealer, or EEPROM programming on the cluster…however that might work. Definitely have my work cut out for me.

Immobilizer reprogramming comes up very rarely, I only had to do it once in my year at this independent shop.  I know an SSM3 or 4 can do it, a generic scan tool probably not.  If you get one of the more expensive Autel units I'm sure that could do it.

I'm pretty sure you need a dealer provided code to get into the reprogramming portion of this particular models immobilizer.  A dealer should be able to provide you the code, if needed, for $20 or so via email; they will need some sort of proof that it is your vehicle.

@m sprank I was fired Thursday from my indi Subie shop because of a seized/rusted bolt that broke in a 2011 Legacy's subframe while doing control arm/steering rack replacement, honestly their loss as I'm basically a Subaru encyclopedia.  The subframe is on backorder 🤣 But that's okay, I had a job two days later with a $15 pay raise, but it's a Euro shop that's expanding to Japanese makes.  The Subie's will start to come in but my world has been turned upside down with the Mercedes....Audi...BMW's.... fuck those cars are put together wheird.

Edited by silverton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very good to know...thanks for that info!

I was poking around the "totally legitimate" version of SSM3 that I have installed on my laptop and checked the manual that comes installed with the software, and lo and behold, there are two keys you need. One is presumably the vehicle-specific one that you'd mentioned, and the other might be a lockout to keep people who don't know what they're doing from messing with the immobilizer. Also, it looks to be like an all-or-nothing procedure; there's no "just" re-registering a cluster - You're registering the entire immobilizer with whatever is currently installed in the car (with the matching code/VIN/what have you). Which is a bummer, because that means my only options are

A.) Clone the cluster EEPROM somehow (if I fail to get the code...or don't buy the necessary hardware, which is $$$),

B.) Leave my car in a city that is at minimum, an hour away, to have them *possibly* reprogram the immobilizer (have I mentioned my Subie dealer is worthless here?), or

C.) Pray that I don't completely ruin the existing cluster/steppers trying to replace the failed LEDs myself.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, and good luck with the new shop, by the way!

50 minutes ago, silverton said:

Immobilizer reprogramming comes up very rarely, I only had to do it once in my year at this independent shop.  I know an SSM3 or 4 can do it, a generic scan tool probably not.  If you get one of the more expensive Autel units I'm sure that could do it.

I'm pretty sure you need a dealer provided code to get into the reprogramming portion of this particular models immobilizer.  A dealer should be able to provide you the code, if needed, for $20 or so via email; they will need some sort of proof that it is your vehicle.

@m sprank I was fired Thursday from my indi Subie shop because of a seized/rusted bolt that broke in a 2011 Legacy's subframe while doing control arm/steering rack replacement, honestly their loss as I'm basically a Subaru encyclopedia.  The subframe is on backorder 🤣 But that's okay, I had a job two days later with a $15 pay raise, but it's a Euro shop that's expanding to Japanese makes.  The Subie's will start to come in but my world has been turned upside down with the Mercedes....Audi...BMW's.... fuck those cars are put together wheird.

If I had a shop I would have hired you.  I was nicknamed "broken bolt" from middle to high school. Growth and puberty left me no sense of torque or my own strength. Shit happens. 

Best advice i can give anyone today on how to get a raise is find a new job.  Glad it worked for you too. 

• Like 2