LegacyGT.com

HVAC expansion valve - Subaru specific of generic part?

Having some issues with the air conditioner - it was found to be completely out of refrigerant and recharged with AC stop leak with UV dye.  System worked perfectly for a few weeks, then started to fail.  

Now, the compressor is engaging normally suggesting OK pressure in the system, but I have no cold air. I've been all over the system with a UV light and can't find a leak (I'll need to take a better look at the evaporator, but preliminary inspection with a snake camera was OK.  

When the compressor engages, I can hear a noise from the expansion valve area inside the cabin, it's not a hiss but more like the echo of refrigerant in the line.  I suspect failing expansion valve. 

Is the valve a common off-the-shelf design or does a Subaru part need to come from the dealer?

Thanks.

You can get the oem off of rock auto for like $12. Denso. I’ve tried a few different expansion valves including one for a Toyota and can confirm that the best results were with the oem denso. Also replace your condenser, but it sounds like you might already know that.

Only because I've been going through the same issues with failing A/C and now waiting on parts to do a rebuild.

Probably equally obvious, but provided the condensor is in good shape, the dessicant charge is available on RockAuto as well, and you might as well throw a new one in while you've got the system apart replacing the expansion valve. New o-rings are the same thing.

6 minutes ago, KZJonny said:

Only because I've been going through the same issues with failing A/C and now waiting on parts to do a rebuild.

Probably equally obvious, but provided the condensor is in good shape, the dessicant charge is available on RockAuto as well, and you might as well throw a new one in while you've got the system apart replacing the expansion valve. New o-rings are the same thing.

If you’re going to that length also flush the system add appropriate oil and if you suspect anything just replace the condenser. This outback is the most ac temperamental vehicle I have ever owned 

14 minutes ago, blackobxt said:

If you’re going to that length also flush the system add appropriate oil and if you suspect anything just replace the condenser. This outback is the most ac temperamental vehicle I have ever owned 

Hell. That car sounds like it’s pretty much falling apart. Keep the evaporator core. Sounds like it’s okay. Replace the rest.

😁

Lol she’s old with a ton of new parts. I think the main thing is that a black on black xt limited was probably never intended to live it’s life in a 115°+ desert especially since it uses the exact same size evaporator as the sedan. 

Edited by blackobxt
  • Haha 1