LegacyGT.com

Subie noob tries learning ECU tuning..

RumblyXT

Right, that makes sense. 👍🏻 Better to have a straight connection from the OBDII to RomRaider/ECUFlash to avoid any mishaps..

I’ll use the extension just for monitoring with the BtSsm App.

Oh, I forgot to tell you, my tuner says I can get away without a wide band O2 sensor..

Edited by RumblyXT

To obtain my first ROM log through ECUFlash, are these steps correct?

Connect Tactrix port/PC to OBDII, Engine has to be off/ Open ECUFlash program/ Click on the Read from ECU Flash memory icon/ Click Ok button/ Turn key to On position/ ECU log is generated.. ??

Or should I monitor the engine’s performance, get familiar with RomRaider first?

Edited by RumblyXT

Spent a good 3 hrs last night trying to figure out why RomRaider is no longer opening.. all I could think of is there is a runtime error with Java and it’s preventing it from opening correctly..

But it was opening before, no issues at all, I don’t understand it.

Anyways.. I read extensively about Java yesterday on the Oracle website.. there’s a whole bunch of Java versions, for Windows, Linux & MAC, plus all the older versions in their archive..

RomRaider requires 32-bit to run ok..

I tried 3 different Windows 10 Javas (SE, JDK & JRE).. and also tried uninstalling and installing RomRaider. Now I’m getting that notification that it needs a 32-bit Java to run properly..

Even had to sign up as a member of Oracle to download JRE.. I will keep trying, I know I’m about to figure it out..

You can actually run 32-bit & 64-bit Java simultaneously on a 64-bit system. This is what I’m trying to do now..

Seems one of the Java versions I downloaded, I need to configure it to run as 32-bit..

PS: According to a video I saw, it looks like the Offline version of Windows it’s the 32-bit version I need.. we’ll see.

Java 32 bit.jpg

Edited by RumblyXT

Ok I think I have the correct Java 32bit version installed now..

It seems Windows defender was the one preventing Java from opening RomRaider correctly.. this is why it was acting like it wanted to open yesterday, but it would close right after the RomRaider logo popped up.

Now I have to figure out how to disable Windows from blocking Java.. it's still blocking it even though I allowed both private and public networks.. 

I'm almost there, I feel it.. but Wow..... lol

Java jre.jpg

Windows Defender blocking Java.jpg

Edited by RumblyXT

Yeah, I’ve gone through several reboots already..

Pretty sure it’s that stupid Windows Defender. I no longer get the message that RomRaider needs Java 32-bit to run.. just gets interrupted the moment it tries to open.. getting there.

Edited by RumblyXT

Well.. been at it for all this time trying to get RR to open.. I know by now exactly what I need to do to, install/uninstall it, add all its files to the logger, car defs, ecus defs, etc.. have done it so much almost know it by memory now. Even know exactly which 32-bit Java version to install. Still, the darn thing won't open..

Even disabled Windows Defender, went into the laptop registry and totally disabled WD.. nothing. So it's not Windows Defender that prevents from opening.

Will keep trying..

Edited by RumblyXT

Finally got RR to work on my wife's laptop.. I gave up using that other old one.

RR is open and running, Tactrix port connected, I opened RR logger, turned the key to On (2nd position), but no monitoring of any parameters occurred. It  doesn't seem to connect yet to the ECU. Not sure if it has to do with the CAL ID..

RR running.jpg

Just out of curiosity, doesn't the IAM default to 1 after a flash and/or reset? Also, when you have both 2-byte and 4-byte versions of the same parameter, shouldn't pick one to reduce the amount of data being transmitted over the OBD2 connection?

No.  Some tuners default to 1.0, but not Cobb or OEM. 

Yes, you should always pick only the parameters required.  Too much and you can cause a "log jam" or you get data in larger time increments.  Besides, it is soooo much easier to read a log that has only what you need. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, motorbreath said:

Just out of curiosity, doesn't the IAM default to 1 after a flash and/or reset? Also, when you have both 2-byte and 4-byte versions of the same parameter, shouldn't pick one to reduce the amount of data being transmitted over the OBD2 connection?

I honestly don’t understand what the parameters mean yet.. except for a few of them. I’m still learning. I rather be upfront and honest about it.

xtbonbon was guiding me on what things to monitor, but all the input and guidance you guys can give is very welcomed.

Based on the LVT 12.30% value, I was told I probably have a vacuum leak somewhere..

I’ve barely driven the car, just a couple of times around the block and didn’t even take it to 1.5K rpms..

It needs to be tuned first.

Edited by RumblyXT

2 hours ago, m sprank said:

No.  Some tuners default to 1.0, but not Cobb or OEM. 

Yes, you should always pick only the parameters required.  Too much and you can cause a "log jam" or you get data in larger time increments.  Besides, it is soooo much easier to read a log that has only what you need. 

What are some of the parameters in particular you guys usually monitor which give a good indication of how the motor is doing?

You need the ecm to reach an IAM of 1.0 prior to making any changes.  You have not driven enough yet for the ecm to have "learned".

In general (unless looking for an issue) you will want to log:

AFR Sensor 1 AFR

Engine Load 4 byte

Engine Speed RPM

IAM (*Ignition Advance Multiplier, Cobb call this DAM Dynamic Advance Multiplier) whatever the tune calls for multiplied by this is your timing value.  Anything less than 1.0 = bad.

Knock Sum (total sound events detected by the sensor)

Manifold Relative Pressure psi (boost)

Mass Airflow g/s

Mass Airflow Sensor Voltage

Primary Wastegate Duty Cycle %

Throttle Opening Angle %

Vehicle Speed MPH

• Thanks 1

Very helpful. Will keep that those parameters in mind. Thank you.

Would the Tuner require different driving sessions/speeds ie: (idle, low-mid acceleration, full throttle, etc).. or something of the sort? First time ever doing this..

Or are all tuning sessions done with the car idling?

I’ll be out of town for the next two weeks.. As soon as I come back, I’ll be doing an e-Tune??.. Can’t wait to drive the car again, it’s been months.

Edited by RumblyXT

1 hour ago, RumblyXT said:

Very helpful. Will keep that those parameters in mind. Thank you.

Would the Tuner require different driving sessions/speeds ie: (idle, low-mid acceleration, full throttle, etc).. or something of the sort? First time ever doing this..

Or are all tuning sessions done with the car idling?

I’ll be out of town for the next two weeks.. As soon as I come back, I’ll be doing an e-Tune??.. Can’t wait to drive the car again, it’s been months.

Lol.  5mt = 3rd gear pull.  WOT on flat ground from 2000 rpm to redline.  6mt = 4th gear pull. 5EAT = (manual mode) 3rd gear pull.  Most e tunes dont spend any time on normal driving or idle.  

• Thanks 1

This guy I mentioned was very cool and has really good ratings online when I spoke to him a couple of times, didn’t strike me as desperate to hang up the phone.. and I can ask a lot of questions lol.. He kept it very professional and seemed to know his stuff. We’ll see how it goes.