LegacyGT.com

08 Legacy - Pool of water in passenger footwell

I hardly drive my car now a days, so I was caught by surprise a few weeks ago when I jumped in to clean the car and found the footwell filled with water.  The water was pretty clear and it wasn't clear how long it had been there or where it came from.  I'm trying to find where it came from and am running out of ideas.

here is what I've checked:

• AC drain, seems fine, works today and car had not been driven in weeks for enough AC condensation to still be there
  • Cowl Panel, the strip of rubber is dry rotted and falling apart, I sprayed a considerable amount of water on the windshield and none of it made it's way to the footwell

Until I find out, I put in kitty litter in the footwell to pull the water that was  in the carpet and foam as well as prevent it from happening again until I fix the source.  Any idea of what I should check next?

I took out the glove box and the piece it attaches to to have a look at wha that looked like and couldn't find a possible source of water in that route.  I had checked the sunroof in the past and it wasn't clogged either. 

The only thing I believe to be possible is that I hadn't closed the passenger door correctly and it came in through that, but so far I haven't been able to replicate the issue.

Thanks for the help, I'm hoping that it isn't a chronic issue at this point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2023 at 6:10 PM, subaru-tech said:

If you have a sunroof, it is possible the drain is blocked or came off the sunroof

This was my issue - driver's side footwell though.  I bought tubing from Home Depot and replaced the sunroof drain tubes in all 4 corners.  It's dry inside now.

So I think the issue is that over time the factory tubing loses it's elasticity and doesn't seal the round plastic sunroof drain tube.  The new tubing from Home Depot goes over the round plastic sunroof drain tube and seals better.  The water doesn't leak from this point anymore.

Edited by yellowspirit
  • Thanks 1