LegacyGT.com

Front door speakers are quieter than rear doors?

Car is 2007 LGT wagon.
Obviously to have a good soundstage in your car, the front speakers need to be louder than the rear. They used to be that way, until the last six months when the front speakers would drop in volume and return to normal sound again. I do have a Parrot Bluetooth set up on my 07 Legacy GT. It doesn’t matter if the sound is being played through the Parrot Bluetooth or the head unit CD or radio, the speakers in the front still run at reduced volume. That’s where I am today, much quieter speakers in the front. All speakers were replaced with a high-end JBL 3 years ago but I didn’t do anything else to the system. What do you guys think could be the problem? I’m hoping to get some sort of answer before I dig into the dash and check every connection in the system. 

Most likely stock HU and the stock HU is taking a pooh.  Something with channel separation or the output.  Mosfet, leaking capacitor, etc.  Not unusual for audio electronics in the 15+ year old range.

Edited by m sprank
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, m sprank said:

Most likely stock HU and the stock HU is taking a pooh.  Something with channel separation or the output.  Mosfet, leaking capacitor, etc.  Not unusual for audio electronics in the 15+ year old range.

I am sure this is part of it as well. Swapping for a different head unit of the same age would possibly solve it. Not the cheap option but probably not too pricey. 

Good luck finding a stock unit.  They were $700+ when sold via dealerships.  They are no longer available new.  Not sure I would take the risk on a junk yard part and thats all I see now.  $75-$250.  JDM double din conversion to an aftermarket HU?  Skyline car audio kits were $1k new and I sold my last one back in 2018.

Expecting a better result from a 15+ year old junk yard HU is basically insanity.  They are all past their expected lifespan.  It is the nature of the beast. 

Edited by m sprank

I have a Highline Audio Double Din conversion that I will let go for free. It gave up the ghost when it tried to power my Kenwood head unit when the accessory fuse in the engine bay quit. My sense is that the power found an alternate path through the Highline unit in ways it was never intended. Anyone who is familiar with circuitry may find that it's a simple fix. The other, cleaner, route is the EDM Double-din conversion as outlined by @SubOperator is here:

Thanks to @finsta for figuring it all out!

• Thanks 2

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

On 6/22/2023 at 8:03 AM, m sprank said:

Good luck finding a stock unit.  They were $700+ when sold via dealerships.  They are no longer available new.  Not sure I would take the risk on a junk yard part and thats all I see now.  $75-$250.  JDM double din conversion to an aftermarket HU?  Skyline car audio kits were $1k new and I sold my last one back in 2018.

Expecting a better result from a 15+ year old junk yard HU is basically insanity.  They are all past their expected lifespan.  It is the nature of the beast. 

I think I’m going to dive into the dash and have a look at connections before I do something stupid. Thanks Mike, message received. 

My money is on the internal amp for the front speakers is dying. Invest in replacing with another oem head unit to return to your sub-par results or invest in the jdm hvac double din to achieve much higher sub-par results.

On 6/23/2023 at 11:59 AM, blackobxt said:

My money is on the internal amp for the front speakers is dying. Invest in replacing with another oem head unit to return to your sub-par results or invest in the jdm hvac double din to achieve much higher sub-par results.

Thank man! I needed a laugh. 

• 4 weeks later...

Reviving my thread with some new questions. 

I decided to swap out the head unit for a working model. Guess what, it sounds the same. I looked at the wiring and it is all connected. It’s the front tweeters that are offline in both doors. This is strange since the 6.5” door speakers are working and the tweeters are not.  Does anyone have a good test for the tweeters or advice going forward? 

At least I am only out $60 at this point!