LegacyGT.com

Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice

klaus

do you need a real snow tire? Nokian WR's seem to be the most popular alternative around here.

It's a long story. Sure, I wouldn't mind nokian, but right now I got a very good quote on the goodyear one. It would be nice to know what other folks experienced and if it's worth its money...

I had them on my 2000 Maxima SE. Very good high performance winter tire. It will not have the traction of a lower performance winter (ie Nokian RSI) but will be better then the Nokian WRs.

You can drive it hard and fast on dry pavement w/o killing the tire (a Blizzak would be gone in about 10 mins with me driving, done it once).

I have the Dunlop WinterSport M3s on my LGT right now and I would have to say the GW-3 were better (although I am not comparing on the same car). Many cops use them in Europe.

That being said, if you drive like a civilzed human in the winter the Nokian RSIs rock! I have them on my MPV and it has a lot more traction then my LGT. I will never put RSIs on my LGT because I need the performance.

I had them on my 2000 Maxima SE. Very good high performance winter tire. It will not have the traction of a lower performance winter (ie Nokian RSI) but will be better then the Nokian WRs.

That being said, if you drive like a civilzed human in the winter the Nokian RSIs rock! I have them on my MPV and it has a lot more traction then my LGT. I will never put RSIs on my LGT because I need the performance.

Thanks for this info. I would count myself among the civilized folks :icon_bigg The RSI's are about $200 more (4 wheels) than the Goodyear ones. My driving is about 70% mostly wet, and 30% snow and ice (in the interior for the locals). Although I don't mind having a good winter tire even in Vancouver when snow comes down with all the nuts with summer tires in the middle of the winter around - at least I can escape them...

I haven't tried them in the snow or ice yet, but being made in Finland with the snowflake designation, I don't doubt their abilities. I plan on keeping them through the summer.

I paid $280 CDN at Kal tire for mine. I don't know if the VDC uses the same size.

$280 each? Huh... now you are talking $120 more than goodyear... I need a winter tire though -- don't plan to use them during the summer (I'll have two sets of wheels). I have a quote for the RSI, but they are cheaper than WR (OK Tire). I just hope that they still have our size (yeah, I think XT and VDC have the same size). I'm noticing that the lower mainland tire shops are running out of winter tires...

Thanks for this info. I would count myself among the civilized folks :icon_bigg The RSI's are about $200 more (4 wheels) than the Goodyear ones. My driving is about 70% mostly wet, and 30% snow and ice (in the interior for the locals). Although I don't mind having a good winter tire even in Vancouver when snow comes down with all the nuts with summer tires in the middle of the winter around - at least I can escape them...

I only know on e person with them, but they're happy. sounds like a good choice for your driving.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

If it was me I would get the GW-3 as they perform MUCH better in the wet and dry then just about any other winter tire (and I do much more winter driving then you living in Winnipeg). Keeping in mind that they are still a winter tire (and perform better then any all seasons) they are not the best at snow and ice. IMO the RSIs are the best non-studded tire on ice and snow.

Now you gotta decide.

Archived