LegacyGT.com

homeland security runs a credit check at the dealer?

SeanP

Now I heard something totally fawked up tonight when buying my new outback. I was writing a check for it, didn't need financing. The presented me with a credit app anyway. I balked. No need for anybody to peek at my credit if I am paying in full with a check right? Well they proceeded to tell me that I needed to fill out the credit check because this is a way for Homeland Security to screen for terrorists buying new cars? WTF???? I never heard of such a think. I still balked. F- them. No one needs my social security number when I am purchasing a car with cash. Guy looked at me like I was insane. I guess I was the only one to go tell them to jump in a lake. He talked to me like I am an a-hole. I about walked, kid was hungry, yadda yadda.

Funny thing is he asks me where I work, again FU none of your business. I tell him I work in IT, and he said he used to work in IT, "tough racket". Turns out I met this guy, he went from selling cell phones to SUN servers for a VAR to selling cars and financing cars. Bwaaahahaha. Sorry dude, you're looking down on me when I make 4X your salary. Yeah I am the one who is a loser because I won't kowtow to an invasion of privacy.

But i digress....

Is there a program for dealers to have to run your credit that is mandated to keep the "terists" from buying Subarus and putting Greenpeace and Gore04 stickers on them?

SeanP

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you're depositing more than 10k cash in the bank, the bank has to ask you questions to make sure you're not a drug dealer and report it to the FBI or something like that.

I THINK dealers like to run credit checks on someone paying by a regular check only to cover themselves to make sure that you're credit safe, you don't bounce a lot of checks, etc. After all, they wouldn't want to hand you the keys to a $27k car, and they get a rubber check in return.

But I agree, the homeland security thing is probably BS.

good luck finding any dealer who is just going to give you a car based on your check. One way or another, they are checking into you. Its purely a safety precaution for them so they don't get ripped off. I don't really get what the big deal is....

good luck finding any dealer who is just going to give you a car based on your check. One way or another, they are checking into you. Its purely a safety precaution for them so they don't get ripped off. I don't really get what the big deal is....

Invasion of privacy is the big deal. Goverment agencies might have a right to know who you are, but car dealers sure don't. No dealer, or anyone at all, is going to hand over a car until the cheque has cleared anyway, so it's nothing to do with credit, pure BS.

I would take my custom elsewhere, plenty of people still like the smell of cash.

^nice Avatar;)

It is nationwide, any cash transaction for a purchase over 10k & it will happen! Nothing new....happend to me when I graduated college.

A co-worker bought a new car a couple weeks ago and paid $10k with a cashiers check. Same deal...the dealership said they had to treat it the same as a cash payment since there was no way to trace the source of the money used to get the cashiers check.

Invasion of privacy is the big deal. Goverment agencies might have a right to know who you are, but car dealers sure don't.

The next thing will be people getting mad because the dealers have to check / photocopy your license or proof of insurance before you can test drive. Its essentially the same thing.

I fail to see how its an invasion of privacy or even what the big deal is.

lol. I was in negotiation for a sofa at a furniture store. After telling them "I liked, it but just wanted to check somewhere else before decided". The store was not close, so "I said I would phone in my order and pay by credit card".

Bitch said, "Because of the Patriot Act, they can no longer accept orders by phone".

huh...Wtf kind of an excuse was that.

I walked. Excuse sounded retarted, can't believe they feed that kind of crap excuse to consumers.

Patriot Act was given as a reason best buy wouldn't return a horrible home design program I bought.

Best buy had a bs software return policy before the Patriot Act existed and now stores throw that out as an excuse!!!

Are rep's taught to blurt that out so the consumer will no longer contest because a 3rd party is a blame??

I agree, and I have no objection to being stopped in the street by a cop and showing my ID, but If an average Joe asked to see your ID, would you show it ?

A credit check is to check your credit rating (duh), if you are not borrowing money then it is not necessary. If they want to do a security check, then that's what they should call it.

well, all i know is my dad doesnt give his SS# to anyone, hes old school like that. i was there, they didnt get it or ask for it. and, they are a BIG dealership.

Neither did I show them anything (I bought it in the US). But I paid in advance so they were able to clear the money before I picked up the car.

All this legal BS is a bunch of excuses to invade your privacy. Terrorists will buy new subarus - yeah, right, tell this to somebody else. If they need a car they'll go through paper ads and pay cash to somebody. I agree that if you needed a security clearance to buy a car, then they should call it a security clearance. Soon you'll need a security clearance to walk on the street. Hooray to George Orwell -- he was a visionary (his book was written in 1948)... I'm happy that I don't live in the US these days...

thanks for the replies. I bought a toyota tundra a few years back and wrote a check for it. They pulled my credit for this (I didn't think twice back then) and commented at my great credit. Well, everytime someone pulls your credit, you get a little ding on your rating. I take pride in my 800+ FICO when I need it. I don't need some asshole's curiosity to see my credit change that, even by a little bit.

I told my wife this story and she said I should have walked. Honestly, they are keeping the car until Thursday in order to fix a couple of things, so I don't care if they need to verify funds on the check. That's cool. Just don't insult me because I won't roll over to their heavy handed tactics like most sheeple.

and yes, I do wear a tinfoil hat around the house :)

I think you all are whiners. Give me a break. If I was a business I would collect all you info to.

If you really don't like it an think it is unjest write your senator. I know that takes work. I bet not a single person that believes they should not have to givve this info will do anythign to change it. THey will just whine and complain.

We I bought the car last year I went to them 29 November 2004 and did the paperwork, to order the car. We did all the papuh wok and...the sales guy asks...

"so how much are you putting down-payment"

"how much should I put" - I ask ?

"2000" he says

"fine" - and I wrote the check for 10,000 dollars (at the time they sold me the car with 24,000 + tax - turned out 26,250 ALL = car + taxes + paperwork - so I put down about 40% of the car)

In january when I went to get the car they ran a credit check on me even though the check was long cleared and cashed by the dealer. No. There were no issues.

Well, the two answers that clueless people can give to any question is "9/11" and "The Patriot Act".....

As someone mentioned, though, it's a fed bank thing about large cash deposits (not the Patriot Act). It used to raise flags at $5K, now it's $10K, althoug I think there is still some minor reporting for cash deposits of at least $5K (did bank IT processing for amost 20 years). The key issue was money laundering for drug dealers and other illegals Remember "Scarface" and the bags of cash being carried into a Miami bank? That was not an unrealistic scenario in the '80s!!

If anyone wrote a check, or paid cash, of $10K or better and the dealership didn't do further checking, the dealership is playing with their deposits to not do the reporting.

Cash is not King anymore, the old stories of payng cash for a car (or about anything else) and getting a better deal are dead. Dealerships make more on financing, and electronic funds transfers (credit/debit cards, etc) are more secure and less of a hassle than dealing with cash or cash equivalents.

Ron

Archived