LegacyGT.com

Have new rims, need good tires

kingbobdole

Ok,

So I just picked up a set of stock 17" rims off of gt_ltd to put onto my XT-6. Hes the man BTW, I thank him greatly for the deal. Anyhoo, I now need tires and am looking for opinions. I kinda looked through some of the other threads, and kinda have an idea what I want, but I'll tell you what driving I'll be seeing, and you tell me if I'm right, or what you woudl do rather. First off, my BIGGEST concern is PRICE... I'm willing to spend some money, but I want the cheaper end of the tire line. This car is mostly used for running around when its dry, or raining... it RARELY sees snow at all, if ever.. I have a wagon for that. One thing I am getting ready for is the NC Subaru meet that NASIOC sets up called The Dragon out on 128. Really twisty road, realy high speed, so I need good grip, but considering I'm running like 195's right now, the 225s will make a big difference. Its also a LONG way out there for me, so I need something thats gonna last for a lot of miles.... to sum it up:

-Low price

-long lasting

-descent grip

-snow/winter driving not a concern, wet, kinda

Thanks!

ah, the Dragon, it's US route 129.. that's a bit of a drive for you.. if you plan to go on the dragon, dont skimp out on the grip or money (I've been on the dragon 2 years in the row now and I have driven just over 1000 miles back and forth on that very same 14-mile stretch of windy road, I kept a logbook for my car).

Since this is on a XT6, the car was originally equipped with 14" rims and the overall tire diameter was about 23.3".. and for you to get 17" rims, that leaves you with only 3 tire sizes that will work for you:

205/40/17

215/40/17

225/40/17

I would stick with the 205/40/17 and 215/40/17 since there's more tire choices. My reccommendations for tires will be for good summer-rain type tires with a good mileage that you can get out of them. Be sure to get an alignment after you get the tires on the car, going from CO to TN is a long trip and having a zero toe alignment is very important, you dont want to eat up your tires along the way there.

Here are my preference from grip and long lasting being the two top priorities, then price being the last factor... the Dragon is no joke if you plan to keep up.. tire heat build up is a concern and it will make your tires lose grip as you plan to drive faster and brake harder. Enjoy the list:

Toyo Proxes T1-R

Toyo Proxes T1-S

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Falken Azenis RT-615

Yokohama ES100

BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2

Kumho MX

All of these tires can range from $80 to $140 each. All of these tires will last pretty long (20,000 to 25,000 miles is about the overall average for these tires if you are a conservative driver, 10,000 to 15,000 miles for the typical autocross/high performance driver with a lot of spirited driving as daily commute).

Check your tire pressures to ensure proper wear, good grip, and good mileage.

Be safe out there.

Keefe

Wow... thanks for the write up... is that your car in your avatiar? I remember seeing that car there earlier this past year, maybe you saw me as well... I'm the guy that got the NASIOC farthest distance plate... and will probably get it again this coming year.... Anyways I have some fairly good tires on my car currently and they, even though cheap took quite some time to get the heat built up in them before they started getting funny. I dont drive The Dragon much though.. its a 1400 mile one way trip and I cant beat it up too much if I wanna get home, so I dont really take too much of a risk I just like to keep up with Huck.... I'd just like to keep the price under 100 a tire and I cant spend too much... this is an old XT-6 after all, its light and I spend WAY too much on it as it is. Why dont you think that the 225/45's will fit? They are only slightly bigger then my current stock tires... I know the spedo will be off, but that really doesnt concern me, it already reads low.

yes, it is my car on my avatar.

yes, I was at that meet earlier this year:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/xenonk2828/GT-DRAGON/band.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/xenonk2828/GT-DRAGON/10.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/xenonk2828/GT-DRAGON/15.jpg

the funny feeling you are getting is the overheat (aka "greasy"). You probably want a tire that can handle the heat changes.. remember, when driven hard, your tires tend to "ballon up" and thus lessen the contact patch in the process.

I usually bring two sets of tires with me and two sets of brake pads and tools since I love driving the Dragon that much. My first year, I stayed for 5 days down there and did a total of 14 full tank fill-ups (came out to be near 196 gallons of gas just for the Dragon).

Huck is pretty quick, but drive at your own pace regardless.

225/45/17 is pretty tall for you, so you might end up rubbing up on some part of the fender or even worse, won't fit due the rubbing of the spring perch. Besides, it's heavier, making you feel slow, a smaller and lighter tire near stock is probably a more enjoyable ride for your car (since it doesnt make that much power).

Keefe

(since it doesnt make that much power).

:icon_frow HEY!! My 6 makes plenty of power... it may not have 250 horse, but its got more torque then a 2.5 RS and it weighs a lot less. Anyway, I missed getting in on those pics... Imp guys kinda didnt tell me... I was wondering where manny, Huck, Dave, and Austin were... then they came back and told me they took pics... Ohh well I got their coveted JDM plate:icon_tong

Archived