LegacyGT.com

Rusty Lower oil pan, seeping oil. Gotta replace.

Hello..  My 15 3.6R has a very slow oil leak that is coming from a very rusty oil pan lower.  Seems easy enough to remove and replace.  I am worried about the bolts as they are horribly rusty as well..   -What do I do when the bolts snap off?  Any suggestions on how to prevent these bolts snapping off?  

Hopefully it's just surface rust, soak them all in pb blaster or whatever your favorite penetrant is several times, make sure your socket is full seated on the bolt before attempting to back them out; use the shortest extension and the straightest path possible.  They're only torqued to 7nm, they essentially just hold the pan while the glue sets.

If one breaks you might get away with the just globbing a little extra sealant around that one but if you lose too many that's risky. You either drill out the broken bolt, or replace the upper oil pan; which also involves the timing cover.

Thanks for the info...   I don't even want to think about the upper oil pan..  Looks like a hot mess to get off.

I'll try and get a pic of the pan and bolts..  It's bad..   Also the curved tube coming out the side above the oil pan is pretty bad..  I think they are cooler lines?   

Update, so...  Oil pan is ordered along with the TB1217H liquid gasket and oil pan cutter tool...   What about the bolts?  The current bolts are horribly rusty, what bolts do I replace with?  Should I go to Subaru Parts for the replacement bolts or is this something I could order online?  I haven't been able to locate a replacement size as of yet..  Appreciate any insight, thanks.