LegacyGT.com

ECM 2024 planning thread

boxkita

Will have to see how far along I get trying to swap out the three HVAC actuators on Saturday.  Got heat out of the passenger side but cool on the driver side.  Eventually gets a smidge warmer, but not full blown heat.  See if I can fit my fat ass under the steering wheel and get this driver side one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got my triples running right.  Unfortunately, my Rally Sim does not have native support for triples or a true FOV adjustment.  So, my screens are not perfect.  AC, ACC and iRacing will be perfect though.   

Still making fine adjustments to the lighting.  Its pretty cool having the street lights and sun glare mimicked "in car". 

Too bad I cant drive to the restaurant to meet Jenny.  LOL. 

20231031_131817.jpg

20231031_132214.jpg

20231031_132208.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, boxkita said:

Sim racing would be so much fun if the equipment occasionally caught fire or popped a circuit breaker. 

n/m...idk why so many cars I had caught fire. Just as well I'm making better choices 

Right???

I am using a dedicated 20amp circuit (ran it myself) to power the rig) and a dedicated 15 amp circuit to power the PC (also ran it myself).  There are two dedicated surge protectors for the rig and one for the PC (4000+ joules each).  The PC is also on a UPS. 

I performed my due diligence in an attempt to decrease the chance of an overloaded circuit or car-b-que.  But anything is possible.  I do have a cup holder specifically for my beer.  Admittedly with the triples, it gets a bit warm in the cockpit after a long session.  Might add wind sim just for the cooling breeze.  Then I can add fuel to the fire.

• Haha 4

My rig was in the basement. Hooked up to my av system. Could only play when my wife was gone because volume.

When I bought the spec miata, the thinwall ss straight pipe didn't bother me because I was used to high volume.

A friend has a high end system, not quite yer level but much better than mine was. Road Atlanta seemed tame after gaming it

• Like 1

Volume?  wife and daughter said (laughingly) that they could hear my engine rpms from the second floor last night.  I am in the basement so to me they are on the third floor.  I thought I had the volume down.  Its only an 8" woofer and a total system output of 1000watts for the sim rig sound.  My home theater is over 7000 watts (6x15" sub-woofers, 6x12" woofers and 1x10" midbass will do that).  I treat my ears like my eyes.  Can't see it, get a bigger screen, I am at a 110" projector now.  Can't hear it???  Get a bunch of amps that go to 11!

Yes KZJ, I am competent at electrical work (sarcastic Canadians).  I fixed all the shit I found in the basement and updated it to code as I went over the past 4 years.  Electrical is a pet peeve of mine (Journeyman UA Local 230 Plumbers,Pipefitters,Steamfitters).  I have rewired and re-trimmed every house I have ever owned.  Some 4 years later I have replaced 95% of this houses electrical infrastructure and components.  Glad I bought all the wire pre-Covid.  Copper got STUPID expensive. 

It also helps to be the size of an emaciated umpaloompa.  I get away with very little drywall work wedging myself between floors and in wall cavities while working. 

Edited by m sprank
  • Haha 6

Running Assetta Corsa, did about 70 laps around Laguna Seca in an MX-5 (changed tires 4 times, thanks pit crew!).  Might just jump in the FT86 next.  Car was slow, but good for figuring out my line, break/shift and turn ins.  Track feels short compared to the Rallys. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, m sprank said:

Running Assetta Corsa, did about 70 laps around Laguna Seca in an MX-5 (changed tires 4 times, thanks pit crew!).  Might just jump in the FT86 next.  Car was slow, but good for figuring out my line, break/shift and turn ins.  Track feels short compared to the Rallys. 

70 laps used 4 sets of tires? good thing you are sim racing. The spec miata league out here allows 4 sets of tires for the whole season!

Road Atlanta and a Ft86...that's fun. :)

8 hours ago, boxkita said:

70 laps used 4 sets of tires? good thing you are sim racing. The spec miata league out here allows 4 sets of tires for the whole season!

Yup, I know.  Did another 100 laps on 2 set of tires last night.  Wore a hole into my right middle finger through my gloves.  Got the sticky ooze scab that wont heal if I keep driving with gloves now.  Motorsports are a sport, you get boo boos. 

1:55 is a FAST lap at Laguna Seca in a NA Miata.  1:50 is FAST in a FI Miata.  I was driving a stock MX-5 with no traction control, stock ABS and ST rated tires (with the top down, cause I like the wind against my bald scalp).  I was going all out.  I clocked an avg lap time of 1:59.  My best lap was 1:55.  It has been over 15 years since I drove LA.  It was just like I remember it.  Killer over-crest into a down hill chicane, the whiplash hairpin left to finish that is SOOOOOO hard to carry speed through.

• Like 1

I used Forza to train for Spec Miata. I setup my virtual Miata like my real one and drive with all damage turned on. I drove 100's of virtual laps during the 3 years I owned the car. Learned to drive in the rain on Forza, then took 2nd in my first actual rainy race.

Putting my helmet with headphones set for a reasonable matching volume level taught me to listen and react to the sounds.

I knew I was making progress when I tried to use "body english" to move the virtual car. Being a fat man in  a little car (>10% of car's weight), moving could assist at times. Most of the time, it just made things worse. :)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, boxkita said:

May be the parking brake handle switch is not working on the sim... 🔧

:hide:

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

I actually had the parking brake inverted in my settings the first attempt to drive.  Was like WTF!?!?!?!?!?  Comedy. 

First it was the transition.  I have been driving on dirt for months, I was sliding far too much.  I was also slamming on the brakes to lock up coming into the turns while straight, then pitching the car.  Once again a habit I picked up offroad.  Once I got back to using a racing line and feathering my brakes with lots of trail braking the tires were much happier and I was faster.

Definitely real enough to catch me trying to use body English.  I am squirming all over that seat and dancing the Irish jig on the three pedals. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, m sprank said:

Had a wonderful dinner with @JJBerk last night.  I hope the freeze was bearable in the camper.  Looks to be warming up this weekend. 

Wife and daughter are even more excited to visit Finger Lakes now. 

Thanks for the wonderful dinner. Camper was roasty toasty! Looking forward to finger lakes with all of us! 

On 10/31/2023 at 1:09 PM, Chronuss said:

Will have to see how far along I get trying to swap out the three HVAC actuators on Saturday.  Got heat out of the passenger side but cool on the driver side.  Eventually gets a smidge warmer, but not full blown heat.  See if I can fit my fat ass under the steering wheel and get this driver side one.

Welp, got the passenger side two changed out.  Think I bruised a rib leaning against the passenger door sill for so long.  Found that I am too tall and too fat to reach the driver side one no matter how I tried to contort myself.  Buttoned everything back up, and now the damn heated seats won't turn on.  Gotta take the center armrest back out and and see if I unplugged or fouled something up then check the two fuses.  The switches won't even light up 😤

9 hours ago, Chronuss said:

Welp, got the passenger side two changed out.  Think I bruised a rib leaning against the passenger door sill for so long.  Found that I am too tall and too fat to reach the driver side one no matter how I tried to contort myself.  Buttoned everything back up, and now the damn heated seats won't turn on.  Gotta take the center armrest back out and and see if I unplugged or fouled something up then check the two fuses.  The switches won't even light up 😤

Are you doing this with the dash out or still in place?

23 minutes ago, SubOperator said:

Are you doing this with the dash out or still in place?

Was trying to accomplish it with the dash in and removing all the other panels.  Will have to deal with the arm rest and the seats this weekend.  Confident I must have unplugged something when taking it out, cause the phone charger I have plugged in isn't getting juice either.

• Thanks 1

It can be done.  But my body would not cooperate with that job anymore.  Oh, the sill to the back and ribs. 

Took advantage of Black Friday deals and the overly generous return policies of some stores.  Traded in the triple 27"s for triple 32's and had money to spare for a (lower quality) 4th monitor to use as a dash display.  Who knew sim racing was just as addictive as the real thing????

20231113_130904.jpg

20231113_131114.jpg

20231113_130740.jpg

20231113_130734.jpg

20231113_130746.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 11/13/2023 at 1:54 PM, m sprank said:

Took advantage of Black Friday deals and the overly generous return policies of some stores.  Traded in the triple 27"s for triple 32's and had money to spare for a (lower quality) 4th monitor to use as a dash display.  Who knew sim racing was just as addictive as the real thing????

20231113_130734.jpg

20231113_130746.jpg

I have to say that as a software engineer I am amazed how far the technology has come. Excited and afraid at the same time of what lays ahead if the momentum continues.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SubOperator said:

I have to say that as a software engineer I am amazed how far the technology has come. Excited and afraid at the same time of what lays ahead if the momentum continues.

In the dark days of networking, I was working on my Novell certification. The amount of material to learn was daunting as well as the expense. I saved some of the ads from the old Byte magazines...10MB hard drive only 4,000$.

Fast forward 30 years, you can go on youtube and find an answer to your networking problem in a couple of minutes.

I'm stilled shocked by the progression of hardware and software.

I appreciate that @m sprank is being safe in his racecars. Always wear a safety harness...you never know when a spin puts you into a tree.

• Like 4