LegacyGT.com

Turbo spool?

Hey hey,

Just got a 05 lgt wagon with a 5 speed. 

What can I do for a quicker turbo spool up? It’s got a vf52 so I’m sure that doesn’t help (open to other turbos) I dont have any supporting mods for that 52 so may just need some injectors and a pump?

Vf52

Invidia Catless dp and a monza exhaust. 

The VF40/46 that come with these cars are smaller but the low end boost response isn't much better, maybe 100 or 200 RPM difference down low when the power starts to kick in, and the VF52 holds power for a wider RPM range than the VF46. You aren't going to get boost at 1500 RPM like a modern turbo car. No twin scroll turbos with trick exhaust setups and direct injection on these old cars.

Upgrading the fuel system will only really help at the top end. I might be able to dig around for a dyno chart on the home PC somewhere but I don't recall there being any torque gains when I went from STi topfeeds to ID1050X.

The trick is to spend time in the range of 3000-3500 RPM driving around town a lot more than you're probably used to. Avoid lugging the engine by downshifting. These cars are pretty easy to heel-toe! 

Ah okay I see, Coming from a 2012 TDI  where 2k is almost a high driving speed😂

Super stoked to have a lgt again. Had a different 05 wagon where someone t-boned me 4 days after I got it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Always going to plug @JmP6889928.

If you can live without the car (and turbo, clearly…) for a brief period his Custom level rebuilds are fantastic.

Lighter and stronger parts, faster spool and more oomph across the board.

Excellent, friendly customer service and follow up support. There is a thread somewhere just about his Custom VF52 rebuilds. Generally rave reviews.

Leave it stock and it will run for ever :). I have my VF52 all modified also, and it sings so nice . Almost like a mini supra when I have the windows down and the radio off. Car is very fun to drive. Get the parts and a great tune and you will be happy. 

• Like 1