LegacyGT.com

Bad Knock when turning wheel.

Hello all, 09 Legacy Special Edition right now I'm kind of lost with this car after so many issues. 

Got a at times really loud knock when turning the wheel and you can feel it trough the body and steering wheel when it does occur, got a vibration that occurs only at 60 - 80 mph ( comfirmed not a tire / wheel balance issue ). Hear as well a noise like something is rubbing against something when going over bumps as well. 

Replaced Struts thinking it was strut mounts as I've had strut mounts cause similiar noise esp rubbing noise on other vehicles. - that did not fix it but did make the ride nicer. Control arms are newish with the ball joint are about a year old now so not even expecting for those to be the reason of the noise when turning. ( used KYB excel struts as the vehicle had oem KYB struts on it ) 

No play in the wheels, none at all everything is tight just like how it should ( swaybar, tie rod etc ). 

Just lost where to go here as the noise sometimes feels like it comes from the right and left side, vibration in the left floor and steering wheel existed way before the noise started and never had been able to solve it, axles don't feel loose either. don't want to throw any more money away on parts that may not fix it. recently resealed the whole engine with head rebuilds so I don't want to throw the car away as the engine is perfectly sound with only 84k miles on it.

Thank you in advance for your help and when the chance arises I will try to record the noise. 

1 hour ago, Jags said:

Got a at times really loud knock when turning the wheel and you can feel it trough the body and steering wheel when it does occur

I know you said the CV axles ‘feel tight’, but your symptoms could definitely be one that is worn. It’s kinda hard to check them for play on the car, but there is probably a diagnostic procedure for them in the service manual. (See ‘vacation pix’ for a download) Also could be your differential, I think bad bearings in the front can cause those symptoms as well… but that might want some further investigation before you commit to that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KZJonny said:

I know you said the CV axles ‘feel tight’, but your symptoms could definitely be one that is worn. It’s kinda hard to check them for play on the car, but there is probably a diagnostic procedure for them in the service manual. (See ‘vacation pix’ for a download) Also could be your differential, I think bad bearings in the front can cause those symptoms as well… but that might want some further investigation before you commit to that.

Wheel bearings were both replaced because I slid into a curb, so bearings are out of the picture and does look like cv axles are the only other answer. Not going to be fun doing them.

Thought I'd ask here first before committing to hurting my wallet again.

I'm assuming only get OEM axles? I've heard people say they had way worse vibrations etc from cheap aftermarket junk.

How long do you plan on keeping the car/how much do you drive it/what's your repair budget?

Could be worth having a look at a wrecking yard for some OE CV's and trying them out... They are *really* expensive from the dealership.
Boot kits are cheap enough, tho not all are available from Subaru any longer, you might need to get some aftermarket stuff.

I''ve personally had good experience with rebuilt units from the aftermarket, and aftermarket "new" CVs as well, but that was being on a tight budget,
and being aware that I might get a little vibration if they aren't great. I haven't yet, but it definitely happens to people. You pays your money and you takes
your chances...

• Like 1

How long do you plan on keeping the car/how much do you drive it/what's your repair budget?

Could be worth having a look at a wrecking yard for some OE CV's and trying them out... They are *really* expensive from the dealership.
Boot kits are cheap enough, tho not all are available from Subaru any longer, you might need to get some aftermarket stuff.

I''ve personally had good experience with rebuilt units from the aftermarket, and aftermarket "new" CVs as well, but that was being on a tight budget,
and being aware that I might get a little vibration if they aren't great. I haven't yet, but it definitely happens to people. You pays your money and you takes
your chances...

Gotcha, this is my daily at the moment. Just get me to work 10 miles in total commute for both ways and that's all I care right now. I got some used 06 Axles that have the U joints out of the cup and boots off so those might be a good canditate for a rebuild if i could find a kit.

I don't want to get rid of the car it's actually one of those I enjoy driving even with the N/A engine. But that is good to know.