LegacyGT.com

Legacy not starting. Any ideas?

Happy Sunday everyone. Haven’t had a chance to look into this much, figured I’d see if anyone has suggestions on where to start. Car wouldn’t  turn over yesterday (video attached). Gave it a jump, it started. Had the battery/alternator checked and both are coming up okay. Drove the car around for a bit. No codes, drove normally. This morning, wouldn’t start again. 
2011 Legacy 3.6R Limited w/ 78k miles 

well, if it wouldn't crank on it's own, but cranked and started just fine when you jumped it, my thought would be that the battery is weak/dead.  If you jump it, drive it around a bit, then can restart it just fine, but when you wait overnight it won't start in the morning, I would suspect you have a parasitic drain from something.

I am guessing the alternator is ok if you don't see the charging system while driving, but would definitely check the voltage across the battery when the car is running (maybe even turn on a load or two like the headlights, and see if it can still hold a reasonable voltage - if it can't, could be a weak alternator, too)

How old is the battery?

Battery is actually super old (almost 7 years). That was my first guess but then since when it was tested it said it’s ok, I was thrown off. 
No lights were on when driving around so agreed, don’t think it’s an alternator issue either. 
Would an issue with the starter make it act like this? Not sure if a jump would help if it was the starter.  FWIW, starter was replaced Aug 2017 with an OEM one. 

Edited by npatel107

I've experienced starters in different cars cause slow cranking with good batteries, and no-cranks too, that sometimes respond to jumping.  So yeah, I believe starter could be a possible cause.

A weak battery could carry a float charge showing good voltage if it was tested after engine running a while.  A load test would tell you though if it was weak.