LegacyGT.com

Help, major overheating !

I have a 2012 Subaru legacy 2.5 Sohc engine its non turbo with the Pzev. I bought the car my fiancé drove it 20 or so miles everything was going fine. I decided I was gonna drive it and drove it about 20 or so miles down the road and got back to the house. every light on the dashboard was flashing. it was boiling and puking it into the overflow. I didn't think anything of it as I had planned to put a timing belt kit and thermostat in it anyways. i put in 3 thermostats that wasn't Oem in , i have an oem on the way, a new radiator, hoses, water pump everything but the headgasket. i don't think its the headgasket as i did a test for co2 in the coolant system. the heat works great and it doesn't overheat and it doesn't seem like the fans are blowing very hard when it shows to be overheating the light flashes red and blue.  i read somewhere and someone had similar issues. i hear a sloshing like sound coming from behind the dashboard and all the hose are hot except the lower coolant hose. ive put over 700$ into it trying to fix it and haven't been able to drive it 50 miles. tia

the fancy funnel is definitely the way to go.  One thing I do which seems to make getting all the air out easy is lift the front of the car (I do high as I can on my jackstands) then fire it up for a bit and keep adding coolant until stays full.  give the upper radiator hose a few rapid squeezes as well to try and push air.  When I fill it up, I do it slowly to make sure air doesn't get trapped as it fills.  Has always worked well for me on my car.

Lisle spill free funnel.  Never fill a Subie without one.  On the bugeyes there was only one cap.  SUCKED.  First time I dropped the coolant, I purchased a funnel the next day.  Because my bugeye sat overnight tilted on jack stands and still was not burping the bubble.  I had already dropped the fresh coolant twice in an attempt in burp her.  Subies can be a bitch as I had never had that happen before.  But with the funnel it never happened again.

Edited by m sprank
  • Thanks 1

The bugeye WRX had a tank on top of the engine (near the turbo) - early ones had black paint on them (which liked to come off) but later ones (all during MY02) had the silver/bare metal ones that didn't do that (I had one of the latter) - for 02, the only radiator cap was on the tank on top of the engine!  In MY03, they used a radiator with a cap on it, so you had the 2-caps like they have now.  (I had the original radiator fail after a few years (leaking at the tank seal) so it was replaced under warranty with the one with the cap on it.  The overflow tank was on the drivers side of the car on the end of the radiator as it is on most of their cars.

I think the idea with the single radiator cap on the surge tank thing was that it was the highest point, so the place to fill from - however, because you weren't right on the upper radiator hose, I think it was common to get air bubbles in there.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the help, I got the funnel ordered and it should be here on the 21st so ill give it a shot and hopefully that will fix it. I'm gonna try and burp it tonight for just incase it does work. i will let you guys know how it goes thanks!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So. i got the everything checked and got and put felpro headgasket and bolt (big mistake) started torqueing them down and got to the top center head bolt and she stripped the threads. i got to looking and the headbolts was the right thread but they wasn't the correct length. about 1-2 in shorter. i threw an old one back into it and it fired up no issue drove it down the road and about a mile down the road i started overheating again. i got halfway to the house and it started ticking and then it lost nearly all power. it started smoking but it doesn't smell like antifreeze. im going to pick up a 100,000 mile motor Wednesday for $700 we are gonna try that next so anyone looking into headgastets their ej25 do not get the headbolts with the P# ES 72212 i may take pictures of the difference when i get the chance. thanks for all the help! 

• 2 weeks later...