LegacyGT.com

Looking for advice for a friend's 2010 Legacy 2.5GT (2.5 turbo). Spun a rod bearing. Rebuild or used

The motor spun a rod bearing.

Higher miles (195,000) but was working fine up until then and had recent head gasket and Tbelt service.

Probably want to spend another 1-2 years with the car.

Has a cat back exhaust otherwise all stock.

Don't plan on doing any mods unless there's a reliable stage 1 or something with a light tune that doesn't affect reliability drastically, otherwise plan on staying stock.

Should he:

1) Find a used motor?

2) Have the current one rebuilt?

3) Buy a crate motor?

Not really gearheads over hear so don't know much about the engine codes other than its possibly an EJ255 for that year?

Can a short block be replaced or would it need a long block with a spun rod bearing?

Any links to any place to find anything for a decent price please let me know or pm me.

Thanks!

Here was my experience:

For me, I didn’t drive it much once it was knocking.  Heads and turbo were clean, I only needed the SB. My understanding is if driven a lot with a spun bearing, the bearing material can clog oil passages and eventually take out the heads and turbo too. Dealer quote was $6k-$12k for best case to worst case once torn down.  I got lucky and it was $6k minus a $2k credit SOA gave me because I was only around 90k miles. 

I strongly considered a built SB from IAG but would’ve forfeited the $2k credit and added more time in a $200/wk rental car (dealer ultimately gave me a loaner once teardown started).