LegacyGT.com

2005 Subaru outback legacy motor into 2007 Subaru outback legacy engine swap from automatic transmission into manual trans wagon

So recently I was given a 2005 Subaru legacy outback wagon with a 2.5 boxer motor I don't currently have the number specs but I can get them later today. The car was not in the best of shape and not long after was given a donor car with a blown motor a 2007 they look like twins and I can't figure out how to get the 05 motor that was good into the 07 car. The '05 was out of a automatic transmission car and the 07 is out of a manual 5-speed. What do I need to know between the two years is there a difference is there major parts that I don't have from one to go into the other or vice versa please help. 

Edited by subeynewbeywowman

• subeynewbeywowman changed the title to 2005 Subaru outback legacy motor into 2007 Subaru outback legacy engine swap from automatic transmission into manual trans wagon

Two major differences between auto and manual cars, neither of which are big deals.  One, manual cars have timing belt guides to keep the belt from jumping when you shift quickly. Two, the more obvious one... automatic cars use a flex plate that bolt to the torque converter, manuals use clutch assemblies that bolt to the flywheel. If you're putting an automatic motor in to a manual equipped car it would be ideal to swap the timing covers to keep the guides.

Now the difference between the 2005 and the 2007... I'm pretty sure the 2007 would have AVLS while the 2005 shouldn't.

More details will help if you can share them. I am assuming these are non-GT (non-turbo)? So probably EJ253s?

@silvertonis correct, and there shouldn't be any real drama swapping the engines, but knowing what your plans are will help get you better advice..

- you plan on moving the good engine from the '05 into the manual body '07 correct?

- you would be leaving the 07 as a manual, not moving over the whole auto drive train? (easiest way to go, so I assume this is the plan)

The '05 is not going to have a secondary air pump for emissions, while the '07 does, and I am pretty sure the '07 ECU will want you to have one. It's difficult to delete those codes now as emissions regulations are preventing most tuners from touching those kinds of things, but maybe you can find a guy, or just live with the permanent CEL code on your dash...

AVLS is another 'problem', but you can probably also ignore that. You'll lose out on a little power and maybe some fuel economy, but it's something you can address later.

I think that technically you could swap the heads from the broken '07 engine to the '05 and get both the air pump and AVLS functional, but that's a lot more work than just a long block swap, and also assumes the heads from the '07 are useable, which they may not be.

If your going to swap the engines, no better time to slap on some fresh valve cover gaskets and throw in some spark plugs... Take a look around for oil leaks, etc... Way easier with the engines out of the car.

Transmission is not the issue.  bell housings will bolt right up.

Once again, its not the timing belt guides, which are technically on the AVCS gears, its the crank gear belt guide.  It is there to stop the belt from skipping during shift shock which automatics do not have. 

Unfortunately due to the smog trickery this is more difficult than it needs to be.  Easiest way is to use the 05 block as a donor to the 07 heads.  If you call that "easy". 

On 2/7/2023 at 12:19 PM, m sprank said:

Once again, its not the timing belt guides, which are technically on the AVCS gears, its the crank gear belt guide.  It is there to stop the belt from skipping during shift shock which automatics do not have.

all manuals have timing belt guides, if it's a SOHC there is only the crank guide, DOHC has three surrounding cam gears, it's not just cars with AVCS.

Semantics, lol.  If you understand the why you understand the nomenclature.

The difference between sohc and dohc ejs is the crank gear guide. Subaru calls this the timing belt guide. On a sohc it is the only guide found on a MT, there are none on an AT.  On a DOHC it gets confusing with the cam belt guides.  Simple to remember that on either, you want the guide for the crank gear if the transmission is MT.  Its the only guide that you will find aftermarket upgrades.