LegacyGT.com

2013 legacy electronic parking brake issue.

Hello, 

I have two questions. I’ll start by explaining my issue. The electronic parking brake is difficult to engage, I always hear is actuate but it doesn’t always go on. When it does, the brake light flashes and it will not release without turning the car off and then back on. 

1st question: is there a way to reprogram the brake without going to the dealer and spending $150-$200. 

2nd question: are there any other solutions to fixing this problem, anyone rebuild the module, etc? Sounds like is $1400 to get it replaced plus programming. 

3rd rhetorical question: what was Subaru thinking making the emergency brake electronic and junk?

EPB's are simpler and save weight compared to their cabled counter parts.  Hard to say what your problem could be without a scan tool reading the trouble code. There are TSB's related to the EPB for your model year, have you had any of them addressed? 06-58-17R(this sounds like your problem), WTV-81R(manual trans only), 06-74-20 provides updated part numbers.

065817r.PNG.d6e1fc93db4faff477a49de99dfbc13e.PNG

wtv81r.PNG.bb2c48413894af508fb4c20659ed2c2e.PNG

Edited by silverton
  • Thanks 1

Check the wiring and connectors to/from the actuator - if you live somewhere where they use lots of deicing salts on the road, then for an older vehicle corrosion is always a suspect - particularly for things that have wiring under the car!  Also - not at all uncommon for parking brake cables to corrode and get sticky/require more force to actuate (the parking brake actuator basically pulls the cables to the parking brakes in lieu of you doing it with a manual lever.  The flashing brake light is an indicator of an electrical problem (short in the warning light circuit or a defective sensor/connector)

Capture.JPG

• Thanks 1

There were no codes in any system when I purchased the vehicle. There are no code now.  The brake system passes with no fault even with the brake light flashing. When I push the button, the button does not light up. It feels like the brake only barely engages. But when I restart the car, the brake is off and no lights flashing.

Where is the actual module?

I did replace the rear wheel bearing, which changed the behavior. Before, it would engage fully and the light on the button would light up but it would not disengage without turning the car on and off and the brake light would flash either when it engaged or would not disengage. I can’t remember which now. 

Do you have an obd2 scanner or a full on scanner with the modules for Subaru? The brake flashing light is a proprietary system that needs an appropriate scanner to be able to read the diagnostic code. 

When you changed the rear hub did you mess with the parking brake at all? If you did that could cause issues with the tension on the parking brake module and it will need to be reset by the dealer.

I see a lot of hate for the EPB but it really is a good system when it's taken care of, I've never had an issue with it and my car is almost 13 years old.

Edited by FLlegacy

I have a scanner that is supposed to access all module. It says brake system passed no fault. It’s a separate section than the obd2. Yes, I had to remove the parking brake but did not change anything on it. And that does not answer why it was doing something similar before I changed the wheel bearing. That’s why one of my questions was can you do a relearn/reset procedure from home on the epb? Or do you have to get a dealer to do it. Is that what they do if they are out of tolerance? 

The module has to be reset or programmed if anything is changed so it has/maintains the correct tension on the parking brake. 

In regards to the scanner, I think you would need a subaru specific module or the ssm3 to be able to reset the epb tension. If you have the correct tool you can do it at home, of course lol.

I would also check to see if the recalls were performed on this car, there was a recall for the parking brake on some years/models but as I recall the autos got a tsb not a recall. 

Anyone have an SSM to rent me for a few days? How much do the dealers charge for this procedure? What guarantee do I have that this is the problem since it got stuck on before I replaced the wheel bearing? Should I do other work before like replace module, replace parking brake pads, etc. first?

Since the parking brake pads are literally only for parking, unless someone engaged the brake for an emergency stop, which would likely damage the module or servo. The brake shoes should be intact. 

Now that you mention the brake getting stuck on, did you manually release it with the tool? I would look at the condition of the module before I decided to replace it. If it was manually released with the tool it should just need reprogramming.

• 11 months later...

Have you solved the issue? 

I havent visited forum for a while, but i have answers. 

The easiest way to apply parking brake recall campaign, dealer will change the required parts and recalibrate it. 

If you dont want to do so - EPB errors cant be read with cheap OBD scanners, as these scan engine errors. you need SSM (original or clone), Launch or similar diagnostics tool which read errors from other car units ans also have recalibration functionality. 

You can read the errors, but most probably you just need  to recalibrate clutch pedal first and only after - recalibrate ECB. 

I had same issue with ecb after rear brake rotors replacement - ecb had same behavior. But luckily i own Ssm 😂

I couldn’t find any work arounds. I had to pay a local mechanic that specialized in Subarus to use their SSM to do a recalibration. That solves all of my issues. It was about $150 if I recall, more because they had to adjust the brake as well.