LegacyGT.com

Noisy dust shield on front rotors

I believe my dust shield on the passenger side front is making noise and scraping something. Only happens at less than 10 mph and when braking at those speeds. Is there something I can do without taking the wheel off? Where is the dust shield? It's a constant problem every 2 or 3 years and does this.

I would just suck it up, raise the car and take the wheels off.

The shield is just a sheet metal cover behind the rotor.  I cant see how it would cause a noise unless something got caught between the shield and brake rotor as mentioned.

Could it be the wear indicator on the pads?  

8 hours ago, computersoc said:

I believe my dust shield on the passenger side front is making noise and scraping something. Only happens at less than 10 mph and when braking at those speeds. Is there something I can do without taking the wheel off? Where is the dust shield? It's a constant problem every 2 or 3 years and does this.

You can try driving that corner up a ramp or curb if you don't have anything. getting under and pulling back on the dust shields on all sides might help. 
It could likely be a failing wheel bearing or just loose lugnuts as well. 

3 hours ago, computersoc said:

The pads only have 27k miles on them.

How "enthusiastically" do you drive?

I've toasted pads in less. 😁

You can check pads through the spokes though if you want.

You mentioned it comes every 2-3 years?  What was causing it previously?

Can you elaborate?

Still cannot picture how rust on the shield can cause a noise while using the brakes, since they are mounted in a way they do not contact the moving components at all.

And what did you do to resolve the noise the previous times?

You really need to lift the car and pull the wheel - then pull the caliper, caliper bracket, and rotor off -- grind off any corrosion product buildup on the dust shield, then make sure it's bent back enough to not rub on the rotor (if there's significant rust buildup on the outer edge of the rotor, clean that up too.  If the dust shield is really bad, you can replace it, but that involves removing the bearing (since it's held in place by the bearing and its bolts) but if you have enough corrosion to make the dust shield a mess, the bearing isn't going to come out without a fight...

after you clean up the dust shield, hit it with some paint (or probably better, a rust converter then paint) so it at least buys you more time before it does it again...

14 hours ago, Scubaboo said:

Still cannot picture how rust on the shield can cause a noise while using the brakes, since they are mounted in a way they do not contact the moving components at all.

Once the corrosion gets pretty bad, the corrosion product can bridge the gap to the rotor - another problem that likely sounds different is the buildup of rust on the outer part of the rotors themselves

• Thanks 2

I wonder if someone mangled the disc brake clips when they installed the brake pads and you only notice it at low speeds, but it is happening all the time.  It could also be the shield as mention above and you need to bend it back a little.

• Thanks 1

I've also seen pin retainer clips get dislodged and the retainer pins move out as just mentioned, those do cause all sorts of noises!

On a related note I do remember buying a complete caliper overhaul kit because we were chasing a noise while braking, I think we replaced a pin bushing or caliper mount bushing.

I solved once and for all by putting on Brembos though lol, so never really dug into it.