LegacyGT.com

Fuel Guage/ sending unit.

I'm having issues with my fuel Guage, it doesn't not move to the correct amount of fuel in the tank. Just simply stays at the same spot. However it does do its full cycle when you turn the ignition on.

I unplugged the negative battery to try and maybe reset it. I have not pulled the fuel pump assembly yet to get to the sending unit. Not sure having the 255 walbro pump effects anything either. But before I take it to a dealer I wanna make sure I'm doing my best to avoid their bs cost.

typically the wiper on float mechanism wears out. There should be some specs in the FSM for you to test relatively easy, if you are handy enough to take the backseat out and use a multimeter to test the resistance value when full/mid/empty. Otherwise they would just replace the whole fuel pump assembly. The aftermarket pump would not affect the level sensor unless something was reassembled wrong.

I believe this is the first time I am hearing of this issue. At the same time, I am expecting that it will come up more and more often as these cars are aging. Subscribed so I know what to do when it happens to us :spin:.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

49 minutes ago, xt2005bonbon said:

I believe this is the first time I am hearing of this issue. At the same time, I am expecting that it will come up more and more often as these cars are aging. Subscribed so I know what to do when it happens to us :spin:.

What i plan to do is what was stated above and test connection there, regardless I'm going to order a new sending unit through subaru. I also have to replace the parking brake pads.

Fir reference, it's a 08 legacy gt spec.b with 166k miles.

5 hours ago, xt2005bonbon said:

Post the part number once you find it. It will be helpful for lazy people like us :).

i plan to order the following: im not sure if i need both or just 1 of them, so ill order both of them and keep it around if i dont use right away. 

Subaru (42081AG00A) 

Subaru (42081AG03A) - Main unit. Primary. Tribeca. Fuel pump & components

Subaru (42025AG04A) - fuel pump gasket sincei just bought this car i mine as well replace this while im here.

As I understand it, the tank is a saddle-type (fits over/on top of the driveshaft) and as such there are two fuel-level floats in the tank--one on either side.  The 42081AG03A has a float and a low-pressure pump to push to the other half of the saddle once fuel gets low enough.  The main fuel pump and float sensor is 42021AG04B, and costs significantly more (someone please correct my info if it's incorrect).

One or both of the units may be causing the problem.  I'm in a similar boat.  My gauge only goes to 1/4 tank when full, then goes down slowly.  The units will have different resistance ranges, so once I dig enough to figure it all out I should be able to test them.

Never mind, I see the parts you listed cover both level sensors.  But, because of this thread, I JUST learned the 42081AG03A can be purchased without the fuel pump assembly.

Edited by SilentJ20
misleading