LegacyGT.com

Sheared caliper bracket bolt removal

SoobyDoobyDoo

So doing the front brakes on my car (they’re the original form factory)  and sheared the bolt head off the pass side top caliper bracket while trying to get it out. Any ideas on how to remove? Besides an ez out or bolt extractor? Just don’t want to have to replace the knuckle if I can help it. Thanks in advance…

hopefully you're already soaking it with wd40 or pb blaster.  If any of the bolt is sticking through the caliper bracket you can try to grab it with channel locks.  a bolt or stud extractor will be your best bet but, assuming, the caliper bracket still on that could be difficult.  If you can find a way to finagle the bracket/rotor off that will make your job a million times easier.

Thanks for the reply. Oh yes soaked liberally several times and left for a few hours and came back and re-soaked. I don’t know if that would have made any difference. The threads on the other bolt closest to the bolt head were gunked up pretty bad (where it goes through the bracket). Unfortunately nothing is there to try to grab onto, it’s flush. Idk if I can get the rotor off…the other side had to be soaked with on blaster and then whacked with a hammer to get off. I was thinking briefly if I could get a punch in there I could maybe get the bracket somewhat moved but don’t think that’ll work. Sounds like a bolt extractor is my best bet…

Edited by SoobyDoobyDoo

In my experience even on the rustiest cars the threads of the caliper bolt aren't often messed up, it's the hole through the knuckle and the non-threaded part of the bolt that get rusty and cause the seizing.  If you hammer the rotor loose of the hub if isn't already, and then use a punch on the busted end of the bolt, maybe you can push it through the knuckle?

I’m sure that would have worked. Thought about the old farmers acetone/transmission fluid mixture too and spraying it on. Ended up taking it to my local shop so they could fix, I don’t have time to mess with it anymore and I need my car back. I also didn’t feel like messing anything else up or continuing to try to hammer on it while it was on jackstands outside in the cold. 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Like 1