LegacyGT.com

Speedometer correction success 2009 Outback

Hey guys. Not sure of the best place to post but wanted to let everyone know that I was able to apply a speedometer correction to my 2009 Outback XT. I know that its not a huge deal but I believe that this can be applied over multiple applications like most can-bus, abs and vdc equipped vehicles including STi for those that are interested.

The reason that I mention it here is because when I searched before the results I found (and instructions from manufacturers) said that this was not possible due to the proprietary can-bus protocol.

I hope this helps...

I used the Healtech SH-V4

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/sh/

A little background, I have an automatic which has 6 speed sensors. I believe the manual trans is only 4 speed sensors. None of this will matter with this method. Our speedometers are driven by stepper motors which means digital signal (similar to a wheel speed signal). 

The wheel speed sensor is typically fed into the transmission computer, then processed and sent to the vdc(if equipped) and/or the abs computer. In my case the vdc and abs signal wires are merged and this signal is fed to the speedometer where an additional processor converts for use with the speedometer. 

Rather than intercept the wheel speed sensor wire before the computers for all 4/6 sensors with the Healtech or convertor I intercepted the signal just upstream of the speedometer processor with one converter. (Plug B34 Pin 21 Green with Black Stripe). My plug was vertical just below the glove box. (I'll add pics later)

This is similar intent to using the healtech convertor on a motorcycle.

WI-177.pdf WI208.pdf WI209.pdf WI-211.pdf

• Thanks 1

People have been using the Healtech for many years as the speed is determined in the cluster, not the ecm.  I first saw them back around 2010.  A simple Google search, or question asked in the open forum should have cleared that up for anyone in a hot minute.

Msprank- technically the speed is determined at the wheel then the abs then the VDC to the ecu and finally processed through the cluster.  If you run the scan tool after this correction you’ll find that the display and the ecu value don’t match. I believe that the instrument cluster really only houses a stepper motor driver. 

it’s always obvious when the answer is presented.  I hope that the information presented will help as my searches didn’t resolve my questions. 

We can get technical about the exact path of the signal and which sensors it comes from.  Yes the signal originates at the wheel bearing microchip and ABS pick up.  I am very familiar.  I was being general as that was all that was required.  The speed seen on the speedo is determined at the cluster.  If you read the speed in the ecm and tcm it would not match what is seen at the gauge.  That is why you can not simply change the value in the ecm.  If it was a Honda you could, but not a Subaru. 

Just for GP I googled "subaru speedometer correction".  First page hit from a WRX forum I used to be a vendor on that specifically mentions and links to the Healtech, it also links to NASIOC (I was also a vendor/member #2181) where the Healtech is used.

https://www.clubwrx.net/threads/speedo-correction-and-tire-size-changes.134348974/

Edited by m sprank