LegacyGT.com

Stereo Upgrade Questions

Hey guys!

I have not been on here for a while. I hope everyone is doing well! For those wondering, I went from driving a 97 Legacy GT 5M to a 2017 Legacy 2.5i. All I can say is - manual is so much more fun)

I am trying to upgrade the sound in my new subi. I listen bass music, and as you can imagine the stock stereo in the base model is not adequate. I have done a decent amount of reading and research which led to me realize how little I know. I hope you guys can help me out and answer some of the questions I still have or point me in right direction. 

My original plan was to simply add an amp with a sub, as my primary complain with the sound was insufficient amount of bass. As I started doing my research I realized I would need to get an LOC in order to hook it up to the stock HU. Looking further into LOCs, there is quite a difference in price between low end (Kicker 46KISLOC2 $29.99) and something high end (LC7i $215). Additionally, I am not very happy with the functionality of my stock HU (CB826UL), primarily the lack of CarPlay, Navigation and Screen Mirroring. I figured instead of spending the money on an LOC, I could upgrade to a nicer HU with a SUB Out. This appears to be a lot more complicated than I thought, and where I finally hit a dead in my researching ability. Sorry for that long intro, but here are my main questions/concerns:

1) How do you find an aftermarket HU that will retain most of my current HU functionality, and does such stereo even exists? Will the following things work - back up camera, AUX/USB ports, built-in Mic, and Radio Antenna? During my research I did find out that I can retain my steering wheel controls using an interface module (Axxess ASWC-1 or iDatalink Maestro), but I could not find any reliable information regarding the other functions I listed. 

2) Which SWC interface module would you recommend and would I retain all of the steering wheel buttons? Just going through different HUs, none of them seem to have voice command, so I am assuming that voice button next to the source button will no longer work as intended and I will just program it to some other function.

Thank you!

Edited by ILL3GALgt

Other than head unit functionality you're missing, your best bet might be to find the factory harmon kardon speaker upgrade.  I love the stereo in my '17 limited. bass hits hard for being OE. I looked in to head units through crutchfield but not having maintenance reminders built in is pretty much a deal breaker for me, and the pickins are SLIM.

Your other option was to get an '18.  pretty sure those have the HK head units with carplay.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced my factory HU with an Android HU ($199 Atoto 7" A6pf on amazon) was skeptical at first but was suprised how good it was for price. Wireless carplay, SWcontrol built in no adapter necissary, just 1 wire and ground. I have the factory sub that sounded like crap until the higher wattage from this brought it to life. door sppeakers/ tweeters are twice as loud as well. cubby modification was hardest part, mine is an 08. If you have a '10+ they make the kit w vents to go right in. I had a good experience with this, lots of people hate on them. If you are not looking for reference level sound, this is almost a 1 stop solution. hope this helps.

• Like 1